Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Of All MPAA films for 2002, how many were in flat or Scope ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Of All MPAA films for 2002, how many were in flat or Scope ?
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 12:43 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is somewhat surprising to note that the 1.85 : 1 films are mostly produced in the U.S.

Will someone give figures, if they are available at all, on the number of films that came out of the MPAA in the year 2002 screen ratio wise ?

Also, for other territories, would somebody have the figures like say for Hong Kong or Germany ?

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-19-2003 12:59 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest you look at Box Office Mojo. They list pretty much everything that gets significant US release, and provide financial and theatre-count information.

Edit: When I first read your post, I thought your reference to "screen ratio" was about what fraction of screens in the US showed a particular film. But now I realize you mean the aspect ratios in use. I guess you're best off using the IMDB's information.

--jhawk

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 01:16 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes ! I meant the screen aspect ratio.

But IMDB used to be complete and accurate once. Not any more. They do not list the technical specifications for several released films. So, I wonder if any survey was ever made by anyody at all.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 02:41 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about 2002, but 2003 has been the year of scope so far, at least for our theatre (which admittably doesnt' get all wide releases due to competition). Currently we are playing 10 scope movies and 3 flat.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-19-2003 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, about 2/3 of the Scope releases are Super 35 blow-ups, not from anamorphic photography. Some look very good, some not so good, but always relatively grainy. Nothing short of 65mm looks as nice as a crisp and creamy smooth true anamorphic Scope print.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-19-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since the inception of the use of super 35 the number of scope films has increased over the years. Super 35 is an easier concept to use than the anamorphic concept because you do not have added bulkiness of the lenses and the extra cost. However you do loose or take a chance on loosing conceptual information in the optical transfer process. Mainly related to focuse issues.

last year I seemed to be running a far greater amount of scope films than I did flat.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have on record the aspect ratios (flat/scope) for the 127 films we received last year. If you are interested I will email the info to you.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-19-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of super 35 (I'd rather see 65mm or VistaVision used as a production format for feature films), but I will admit that the picture quality of films originated in super 35 has improved significantly in the last decade or so (since I started paying attention to such things).

I used to associate super 35 with "grainy"; now, I tend to think of it as "scope with a little more grain and without anamorphic lens artifacts." It's probably a good thing that the format exists, as it provides a way for filmmakers to choose the scope aspect ratio when limitations of anamorphic lenses (too heavy and big for extensive handheld shooting) would make it very difficult to shoot in the format. I assume that improvements in camera lenses, film stock, and optical printing have been responsible for the improvement in scope release prints from super 35 negative.

One of the best-looking films released in 2002 was "8 Mile" which was shot in super 35; it was very sharp and not excessively grainy. It's too bad that all prints from super 35 negative don't look this good.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-19-2003 02:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the big problems I have with Super35 is very few movies shot in the process actually compose for the frame properly. They just sort of compose for different aspect ratios at once. The movie kind of works in widescreen and kind of works in home video "fullscreen." But it doesn't seem very dynamic in either frame.

When cinematographers make the courageous choice and shoot true anamorphic, they have to consider using the frame properly. That's not to say anamorphic shot films have not been compromised either. I've seen plenty of 'scope-shot films in the 1980s and 1990s place their content in safe area for more friendly pan-and-scan work. Robert Zemeckis talked about the extra work involved in truly composing for 'scope on the "Forrest Gump" DVD commentary track. The extra work does pay off and create a much more dynamic, sweeping frame.

Outside of the work of James Cameron and David Fincher, I see very few films using the 2.39:1 frame in Super35 properly. Most is just bland, watered down half-composition.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One excellent example of framing in the middle was the 1950's An Affair to Remember. This was WEIRD, since it was way before these films were sold to TV, but EVERYTHING was kept in the center of the frame, making the surounding areas wasted space.

I have to agree with Bobby here. A lot of 80's films (oh, JUST around the time of home video taking off)and some truly hideous compositions. Fortunately, this seems to be going by the wayside now that letterboxing and wide screen TV's are becoming the norm.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-19-2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Put in a letterbox copy of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Now get two pieces of tape and place them vertically on your tv screen where the 1.33 cropping mark would have been and watch the entire opening scene with River Phoenix. This will allow you to see what a centered 1.33 image would look like as well as still being able to see what is being cropped off (assuming no panning for the video transfer). With the exception of I think 2 shots there is no need to pan and scan the frame at all. Even those 2 shots are extreme edge framed such that it would still fit effortlessly on a tv. I'm betting Spielberg and Lucas went 'round and 'round on that one with George demanding scope and Steve insisting to frame for video.

Framing like that sucks, but I would welcome it any day over a 1.85 release. If nothing else, at least the 35mm prints have the benefit of more print real estate which translates into brighter and sharper pictures than 1.85 can produce.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-19-2003 03:55 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Size DOES matter. [Smile] Bigger IS better. [Smile] The larger the frame, the less the magnification --- better sharpness, less graininess.

1.85:1 "flat" wastes image area and light:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/evolution.htm

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 05:47 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Aaron Mehocic.

email : dhananjaykv@indiatimes.com

I wonder if anybody is here who knows the scenario at Europe.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Information forthcoming. Cannot access e-mail. I use public computers because I'm to stupid to figure out why I can't get my home computer's internet wizard to work. Stay tuned [Frown]

Mike Perju
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Mike Perju   Email Mike Perju   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
55% of all US films are released in 1.85

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: