Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm Documentary on Crazy People

Author Topic: 16mm Documentary on Crazy People
Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 04-19-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.behindtheglass.com/

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 12:07 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Not enough info here to know how good this will turn out.

At least they know a good site to link! They need the hyphen, though...www.filmtech.com is an entirely different place.

Looks like some web site overdesign. Run the cursor over the words "Behind the Glass" and you'll see.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 02:14 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I always knew from a very early age that I liked projectors. Not necessarily movies, but projectors, the mechanical things." -- projectionist George Wagner, from the site's preview clip.

Hearing that quote nearly brought a tear to my eye, knowing that I'm not the only one who had a fascination with projection equipment stretching back to childhood.

Looks like this documentary has a lot of promise. About the only potential for disappointment would be if the work was screened in public with [dlp] projection; it just would not have the same emotional impact.

[Edited to soften final paragraph]

[ 04-19-2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Jon Miller ]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Behind The Glass is a one-hour documentary about projectionists. I contacted the filmmaker in order to get a copy of the documentary to view. He responded that they only have 5 minutes assembled to show potential investors. So it is still in production.
They have a fundraiser scheduled at the Screening Room, 54 Varick St, NYC on May 15th, 7:30 PM to Midnight.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-19-2003 11:07 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting, but I have to question the journalistic competence when I read the last statement in their history section:

"At this point in time, digital projection stands perched and ready to make its entry into theatres around the world. Out of the 75,000 theatrres worldwide, only about 50 theatres have made the transition to digital. However, it is predicted that by 2005, a majorority of mainstream movie houses in the US will have made the transition, spelling the end of the motion picture projectionist."

What a pile of wild, nonsensical dog-do. All this tells me is that either this filmmaker already has a "digital" bias or at the very least, he has not been talking to theatre owners and he surely hasn't been talking to those projectionist that in another section he praises as staunch film lovers. I don't think that even the digital evangelist would make a statement like that today -- they have turned down the rhetoric of late, given the very disappointing and down right embarrassing stagnation of this technology since its introduction. Back then they were making totally unsubstantiated statements that bordered on the hystical, like claims such as, "film will be obsolete in 5 years" -- CBS radio "news" report in 1998.

And one last observation, I know it's a small point, but it is really erksome to see that he has chosen to represent film in his little animation graphic by showing dirt and scratches.

Frank

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: