Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Apartmentizing a Brenkert BX-80 Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Apartmentizing a Brenkert BX-80 Projector
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Robert Sprague, (Historian and Formerly With the Brenkert Light Projection Company) sent me the following letter and photos which I post because he cannot connect to Film-tech, having neither telephone line nor computer cable in his new, tiny apartment in Senior housing in the center of Petoskey, Michigan:]

I've finished constructing (base, wiring, etc., my "Mini-Brenkert" Apartment Projector, several photos enclosed. But please excuse the extreme distortion due to elevation of camera and its severe wide-angle lens! (It was one of those cardboard throw-away cameras.) But you'll get the idea of what I did!!!
Components are:
  • Brenkert BX-80 Head
    Brenkert C-7 Incandescent "Spot Lamp" Lamphouse (Smallest model Lamp "B" ever made, c. 1922)
    RCA Mini-1090B Soundhead with Non-RCA Flywheel
    18" Chicago Cinema Upper Magazine
    16" Simplex Lower Magazine (countersunk to fit into base)
    Base designed and built my ME
Eventually I'll have to modify the lamp to take a quartz halogen bulb as proper bulbs no longer avail.
I await an amplifier and speaker (from Paul Pottash,) otherwise the projector & soundhead are wired and working. On the backside of the base I have a DC exciter power supply. A footplate on casters of base looks weird in these distorted pics, as it's triangular!
Best wishes to all Film-tech guys and gals, especially Brenkert fans!
Robert Sprague, IATSE Local 521

-
 -

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 04:20 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one good looking machine. Hopefully he'll be able to get more pics, and closeups, that can be sent to the Picture Warehouse.
That baby lamphouse it pretty cute too. [Big Grin]

Danny

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 07:09 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard, Robert has done a great job! I have been assisiting him with sound hook-up info and a DC supply for his exciter lamp. Sure wish he had email capability, but it's fun corresponding with him via snail-mail, nonetheless.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 11:49 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, what a beautiful layout and design for a small apartment! [Cool]

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Sprague thanks the above posters for their comments, and desperately seeks some small parts which I have posted for him on the Equipment forum under the thread "WTB: BX-80 Parts for Apartment Projector." If you have spare Brenkert parts, please check it out.

I've summarized the never-ending Film-tech discussions about the best oil to lubricate Brenkerts, and Robert replies:

"The 'oil' I use in my Brenkert is 'Mobil 1' 5W-30 Synthetic Oil: It is great and leaves a sheen on all parts for 'starting-up,' yet is very light and does not 'gum up' and does NOT bother the beautiful maroon finish inside the gear compartment. It is EXPENSIVE for a motor oil ($5 per quart at Wall-mart) but CHEAPER than what dealers sell as 'Brenkert Oil.'
NEWS: No one today makes an oil just like the original Brenkert Projector Oil! "

Robert Sprague, Lifetime Charter Member,
American Society of Master Projectionists
(Founded by Karl Brenkert and Ernie Forbes in Detroit 1949)

Gerard

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-29-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldnt recommend using that oil in the brenkert machines as it is really too thick. I use ISO 10 spindle oil, available for around 5 buck a gallon.

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-29-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ISO 10 Josh speaks of is supposedly a direct replacement for the orginal Brenkert Oil. In the days of Brenkert, I think it was either Mobil, Conoco or Shell Oil company that made it. It has been a while, but there was a thread that discussed Brenkert Oil. After several investigations, I found out that ISO 10 was what supposedly was used.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the Mobil 1 is a very good oil to use in a Brenkert as long as you stay with the lighter oil. A synthetic oil is far more desirable over any other oil sold for projection use. I can definately speak from experience on this one. Present day Simplex oil is nothing more than pure Mineral oil at 5W.
Mark @ CLACO
P.S. I run Mobil 1, 10 W 50 in my car and recently it most likely saved it from seizing up when my head gasket blew!! This is according to the machine shop that rebuilt it. Had it had regular old oil it woulda been burnt really bad.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-29-2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't run that stuff in your Hog, though. It'll burn up the crankpin bearings.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2003 08:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am running Golden Spectro Synthetic in my HOG, have been since I owned it. Still runs like new.
Mark

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-29-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell is Golden Spectro Synthetic? What weight?

I had good luck running a mixture of Hog Oil and Skunk Piss (STP) in mine.... [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Golden Spectro is siold by many Harley dealers. Its a very high quality designed for motorcycles type oil. I'll have to go out to the garage and see for sure what weight it is, but I wasnt to say 10/50. Its not cheap stuff but nothing good is cheap. I buy it in the half gallon container for convenience.
Check out http://www.spectro-oils.com/
Mark

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2003 02:43 PM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone once suggested that industrial sewing machine oil is great in Simplex projectors, can anyone confirm?...Jim

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn good looking machine, kicks my Super Simplex in the ass...I service a theatre that has BX-60 & BX-80, been using transmission fluid for the last 8-yrs...no problems !!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-30-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, I ran mine on aircraft hydraulic fluid. No problems whatsoever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: