Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Difference between Century SA and SAW?

Author Topic: Difference between Century SA and SAW?
Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 03:38 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a main drive shaft gear burn out and the shaft is different from any SA I have seen. The usual gear(as in what ive usally used) is too big for the shaft. Is this common or did I inherit something that was rigged? Any ideas? Also the other SAW's in the complex have the normal shaft. Very Perplexed, Mike [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
Last question first. The "W" means a water cooled jacket in back of the film trap.

There are two main combinations of horizontal drive / vertical shaft gears in century's. The older style has a GR-8 fiber / GR-4 combination. Most older Century's have these. The one with the larger ID uses a GR-302 fiber / GR-182. Most of the ones I work on have the older combo. I think there is another set for direct drive. They don't mix either. I think your machines just have different sets.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 05:31 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your quick response but this is gonna show my ignorance fully and I'm embarrassed to ask but i need to learn: Whats the difference between the direct and the indirect drives on this particular projector? I've only seen one version, how much of a difference is there? Is there a possibility of exchanging shafts between the two? [Confused]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-26-2003 10:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The normal version has the motor drive a large pulley on the soundhead and the projector is driven with a seperate belt to the main drive of the projector
The direct drive has the motor drive the projectors main drive directly with the veticle shaft of the projector being coupled to a small verticle shaft in the soundhead to drive it
The main drive gear combo on the direct drive is indead different than that of the standard drive
The original main drive on the century had a smaller shaft diameter with a collet on the outboard end to accept a simplex main drive gear or a pulley for a timing chain
The later ones were a solid drive with a larger sized shaft

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: