Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65/DTS Combo, sound dropping completely out

Author Topic: CP65/DTS Combo, sound dropping completely out
Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 07:45 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick question, quick because I haven't had time to fault find, the other projectionist's don't care and management won't get it fixed until the next service.

What is happening is that when running in DTS, the sound sometimes drops out alltogether rather than defaulting to analogue.

I have not had a chance to see if the reader is getting solid green light, but last time I looked it was fine, but that's not the point right now, we just run that screen in SR now.

I'm wondering which card in the CP65 could be at fault, could it be the 436 or 404 or whatever that control card is called?

The tech said start swapping cards (we have only 2 cp65 the all the others are Panalogic), but I need a starting point; Which card should I start with?

Thanks Bill.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-26-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the sound drops out, does the CP65 stay in format 10, or does it switch back to 05? Do you get sound then if you manually switch it into format 05 on the front panel?

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 10:39 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Sorry it was a quick question, I'll get more facts soon, here's some that I can think of...

Here's the kicker, the top LED is always on (mono 01), no mater what format is selected/running, the Ezymation LED's are completely dead.

Yes the sound is restored if I select mono/stereo/sr on either the cp65 or Pennywise Ezy, however I'm not sure how long these dropouts are lasting for at this stage, DTS kicks back in a few 30-60 secs later, then fails again. So the DTS player is now left turned off.

You know, by the time some SMART patron decides to complain after the sound has been out for WHO KNOWS how long, then get a SMART usher to radio to bio, then the SMART projectionist, SURELY is in the furhast bio box from the problem, and when he gets there, ALL is running FINE. Don't ya hate that. (Hmm, I guess it's better than 6000ft of film on the floor, to quite honest)

The Ezy/CP defaults to 'film' level 5.0 at power up in the morning (rather than non-sync 1)which is annoying as we have a run-down of about 30 seconds of junked trailers. (If I forget to select non-sync for the rundown, its not a nice sound in the theatre)

So I can't answer your question to my question, as I simply can not tell what format it is running in at any time, save for when it was running in DTS, hence my question about the format control card in the cp.

Bill!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-26-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is odd since usually the dts is wired to format 10 digital inputs so it shouldn't stay in 01
On the USL processors I have had problems with the DTS pulse being so short that it doesn't get recognized sometimes by the usl processor so it sits in digital with dead air
try swapping the DTS players first. If they were set up with a 300mv output then moving them is a snap with only the delay offset to adjust

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-26-2003 03:11 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this doesn't solve the format control problem, but WHY is the DTS unit dropping out?

That aside,

Did your format status leds work properly at some time?

Do you know if reversion to analog worked properly at some time?

If you're in the card swapping mood, I would start with the Cat. 443 Control Logic Card.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-26-2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same problem here from time to time. Ultra Stereo JS-200s. DTS drops out, but the js-200 doesnt default to analog.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-26-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ON the USL's I ended up removeing the capactiros on the input lines of the format card that were part of the opto schmit trigger on the input

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 06:50 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi -

If it's going to O1 Mono at any stage there is something screwy. Try cutting the 01 control line (pin 1 J18 CP65) - what happens then ? If the CP65 is showing MONO and there is optical sound the problem is likely in the 65 - even if a ID line was held low by the DTS I beliebe that these lines arwe resistor buffered and wont affect the CP65. Try unplugging the auto interface from the DTS to the CP.. Is anything else odd indicated on the CP (mute or maybe P2 ?). I feel the problem is in the Cat443 or the front panel card, or possibly an odd command being sent by the auto or DTS..

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 06:44 AM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure that you service the ROM drives on a monthly basis (use a cleaning disc.)

Also check that the LED on the reader is calibrated to 4 volts as per DTS instruction. You may also like to check all
sockets, plugs and boards are secure. Use some contact cleaner on the points when you are checking them.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-29-2003 07:04 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To find out which format is running when dts drops out, you could run a film, then block the LED in the reader, then use a little piece of cardboard to block the analogue and digital readers on the projector one fter the other. If it is anlogue, simply check if only the center channel is active to establish whether you play mono or stereo.
Check the automation connections. Maybe the jumper on the logic interface board which defines whether SR is installed is set incorrectly.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

What you need to do is find out which format the CP is in when the sound drops out. Is it really in a format for DTS? If it is, be sure that the DTS player is booted and playing (SYSTEM light flashing and DIGITAL light is on).

Be sure that automation is not keying in the CP too early. When the DTS player switches to DIGITAL, it sends one pulse to the CP to go to the DTS format. If the DTS player defaults, it sends one pulse to the CP to go to an analog format. Test this function with a DTS setup disc. This disc self-plays and should automatically pulse in the CP to a DTS format. Then, eject the disc and the DTS player should pulse the CP to an analog format.

If this all works, then I'd look at your automation to be sure that it is not interferring. Try temporarily disconnecting the automation system and see how the DTS and CP work together without the automation connected. If all works, then the automation is interferring in some way.

If the pulsing does not work properly, then let me know.

When the drop-out occurs, look at the TIMECODE light and the CD-ROM light. Be sure discs are clean and not scratched = a disc/drive failure will cause the CD-ROM light to go out. A timecode/reader problem will cause the TIMECODE light to go out. The TIMECODE light should be on bright and steady when timecode is seen.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: