Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Venting lamphouses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Venting lamphouses
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 11:04 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to embark on installing my projection system into my new home and the room I will be using is 8' X 10'. As you probably already know I have an ORC1600 lamphouse that I will be using for the light source. The replacement bulb is of the low ozone type. The manual says it doesn't need to be vented to the outside. So should I vent the thing or not. The only other reason to vent would be the heat buildup in the room. Anyway thats the thing going on at the moment.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-27-2003 11:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If possible, always vent xenon lamps to the outside. There are Ozone emissions from Xenon arc lamps...even those that claim to be "Ozone Free." Some people are quite sensitive to those emissions and will get headaches.

Steve

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 12:26 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's right---vent it!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-27-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vent it.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 03:54 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just what are the hazards posed by Ozone?

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moderate levels can irritate the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs.

Low-level exposures have been shown to cause significant temporary decreases in lung capacity in healthy, exercising adults.

Some asthmatic individuals are especially susceptible to ozone toxicity, which includes constricting airways.

Short-term exposures can cause increased sensitivity to airborne allergens and other irritants, and it can impair the body's immune system.

Summertime ozone episodes in the northeastern U.S. lead to 10-20% increases in hospital admissions and emergency room visits.

Human population studies of long-term exposures to low-level ozone indicate that it may lead to permanent reduction in lung capacity; animal studies have shown chronic high-level exposures can cause lasting structural damage in the lungs.

Children, especially asthmatics, are most at risk from exposure to ozone.

[Eek!]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 09:39 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am prone to allergies and asthma type symptoms so I guess I better vent after all. [Frown]
Thanks John. [thumbsup]

Mark Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Mark Maxwell   Email Mark Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I am concerned, if it can light a projector, vent it. If it is bright enough to light a projector, it is hot as hell. We had one projector that had the vent fan go out, the entire booth heated up to the point that it was unbearable to be on the one side that the projector sat.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 07:59 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hazards of ozone:

http://www.osha-slc.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_259300.html

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pel88/10028-15.html

http://www.cci.ca.gov/Reference/ESDA.pdf

http://www.arcesystems.com/products/ozone/safety.htm

In other words, VENT YOUR XENON LAMP to the outside.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 10:01 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately. [Eek!]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-28-2003 10:09 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am prone to allergies and asthma type symptoms so I guess I better vent after all.
It might also help if you vented your bedroom once a month.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When xenon bulb manufacturers claim their bulbs are low-ozone emitting, it is about as meaningful as food manufacturers claiming their products are "low fat." Take it with a grain of salt....salt-free salt.

Vent it.

Frank

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some ozon is also generated by the spark gap during ignition

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-28-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, yes, some is generated by the spark gap. Some igniers splatter crap all over the place. Some don't. The ORC that Sam is using has a nice soft igniter. When the lamp fires, the igniter does not emit a 110 db SPL from the spark gap like some other manufacturers do. It is so smooth and quiet that all you hear is a lady-like "Plink" [Wink]

Just like starting an R-3350 aircraft engine. A few macho farts from the ehaust stacks (and sometimes from the carburator intake) and a HUGE cloud of engine oil smoke, it is running! (provided, of course, that you didn't bust a piston or blow a jug in the process of trying to start it.) [Eek!]

With a turbojet engine, ignition sounds like a lady-like "poot" and it is running. No muss, no fuss with smoke being emitted from the tail pipe of the engine. (unless you have a wet start) [Roll Eyes]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-28-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely best to vent it, there may not be a LOT of ozone but I would rather not have my home air ozone-enhanced. I regularly run lamphouses on test inside without a vent and I don't notice any smell or problems, bit our shop is large and a bit drafty. I have noticed that ozone smell when entering booths where an unvented lamphouse is operating.
The heat is a question. You probably have air conditioning, so you have to consider whether cooling the extra heat load from the lamp is cheaper than cooling and dehumidifying the make-up air that's going to be sucked in from outside when you have the vented lamphouse blower running... the places I've been in Louisiana have featured hot and humid air most of the year. Probably the cost difference won't be huge, but it's going to cost you extra in A/C either way.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: