Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Automating the EL-40

Author Topic: Automating the EL-40
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2003 10:39 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spring fever has once again broken out here and I am too lazy to think of what will probably be an all-to-obvious solution to this problem, so I throw it out to those who haven't yet suffered from this malady.

Strong Highlight II console.
Simplex projector (1060) and 5-star sound-head
TA-10 automation.

In equipping these units for the up and coming (this time for sure, or so we have been told, again) the dreaded cyan sound-tracks, we are using C.E.'s kit for converting from the infa-red to bright-red l.e.d. units. To save us the time of converting the EL-2A supplies (which we are quite capable of) to prevent l.e.d. burn-out if incorrectly polarized, we have instead been given the EL-40 units.

The 40's are quite compact, (although I wish they had made them mechanically replaceable for the EL-2A's).

The thing is this: In the past, in order to preserve the 770nM life in other units, we had simply wired the power line of the EL-2's across the motor "on" terminals at the automation. Thus when the motor came on, the exciter came on also.
If you happened (seldom, but it could happen) to turn on the motor with the cinema processor in an optical format, it created a "thump" which not only woke up the audience, but cleaned the cobwebs out of the speaker systems. Mind you, we are de-powering the pre-amps at intermission too - not really sure if this is a good thing although there have been no failures in almost 100 conversions.

The 40's however offer an intriguing possibility. Two 1/4" push-on terminals offer a way in which;
(a) if the terminals are not connected, the l.e.d. will remain on.
(b) if the terminals are shorted, the l.e.d. will turn off
Not only this, but there is a "ramp" to the on and off conditions that prevents that "thump" in the speakers.

I am trying to come up with a simple way in which this could be used for both automatic and manual running conditions. Please bear in mind that these are used by less-than experienced operators so the addition of an extra switch for them to operate is NOT a good idea.

I have thought of putting a 110-volt relay across the motor "on terminals and wiring these two lugs to the normally closed contacts of the relay.

Is there a simpler solution?

|  IP: Logged

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 04:09 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YOU CANT GET MUCH MORE IDIOT PROOF THAN THAT [thumbsup]

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2003 05:12 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you could use two solution:

Using a Bi-stable state relay and connecting it in parallel with the changeover control command

or,

Using a delayed relay in parallel with the "motor On" command. In this case pay attention to check that the TA-21 automation system give a pulse to the sound processor to switch it in non-sync format to prevent what I call "the famous tail-out sound !" in the theater.

I hope that can hel You.

Sorry formy weak english !

best regards

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-01-2003 08:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wanna place your bets on the cyan prints getting a wide release this year?

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: