Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Are you screening the "original" Matrix? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are you screening the "original" Matrix?
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2003 07:31 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got word today that we will be showing the original Matrix each day, four days prior to the opening of Matrix Reloaded. Anyone else heard about this? Details are sketchy. I don't know what day the print will arrive for buildup, or what house we will be playing it in. Hope the print will be in decent shape!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 12:17 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
interesting, since our booking department informed one of our other theaters that the distributers were pulling all the original films from release do to there sequals coming out. The other theater was going to do midnight shows of each of the original films the weekend prior to the sequals release. If you all get to play this film then that just blows because someones lieing out there asses. [Mad]

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 03:55 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Denmark, only 3 prints survived their first tour, and they are of course reserved for the 3 biggest cities for reissue.
Would have been fun, though. [Frown]

Per

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 07:47 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be very cool, I had asked the owner of our place but he didnt think it would sell.?

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 11:45 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We requested to get the original film to show prior to "Reloaded" coming out... and the word I got was it is no longer available?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-01-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grossmont College in San Diego is holding a DVD screening this Sunday night in Room 220 (a small theatre room)

It will be presented in Dolby Digital through a 6000 watt JBL speaker system.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 09:06 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Grossmont College in San Diego is holding a DVD screening this Sunday night in Room 220 (a small theatre room)

Hope they licensed this public screening! [Roll Eyes]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-01-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pssst: John:

SHHHHHHHH!!!

[Roll Eyes]
----

I'm sure it is.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 09:25 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rialto in Pasadena is having a midnight showing this saturday.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2003 03:01 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pulling a film from distribution right before the sequel comes out sounds like one of the dumbest ideas ever. what an opportunity to make a little extra $ on the original while promoting the sequel at the same time. it's a win-win. it sounds like the real problem is that most of those original prints were junked so there aren't enough to go around now. whoops!

carl

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-02-2003 08:45 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Distributors can always make NEW prints if they think there is a market for a re-release, especially to help promote a sequel.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-02-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pulling the original film before releasing its sequel is farily common practice. UA has always done this with the Bond titles, for example. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but perhaps the distributors are afraid that some theatres might book the original title at a flat rate or low per centage instead of the new title, possibly causing loss of revenue.

Perhaps the original is available in either the theatrical market (only) or the non-theatrical market (only), but not both, which is why some venues are able to show it.

I seriously doubt that there aren't at least few dozen prints of the original Matrix in the distributor's inventory somewhere (though I have no way of knowing).

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-03-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are running it in our two large format houses (in Fl. and CT.) Both prints are only in fair shape; we've tried to get better reels, but we are told there just isn't any avaible.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2003 05:38 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the UK I believe that it has been pulled from distribution.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 09:09 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's official. We will be showing the original Matrix each evening Sunday through Wednesday at 9:15PM. We are "sharing" the print with another theater that is playing it through Thursday. It is to be shipped to us and arrive on Saturday. We are to have it ready for shipment back to California on Thursday 5/15. Looks like I'm going to be spending some time doing a foot by foot bench inspection on Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is in good shape and that I will not have to do a post in "Outing Bad Film Handlers". [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: