Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Last night of the change over? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Last night of the change over?
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 05-01-2003 03:13 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, last Tuesday was the final night of the change over at the local drive in. The films that were played were, Agent Cody Banks followed by Bullet Proof Monk. We have three outdoor cinemas, one was still a change over. The booth is at least 20 years old and probably has not seen much of an upgrade, anyhow the automation did not work even to shut down. We now have a new set of strong platters as were are awaiting our new projector. To tell everyone the truth having platters is much better, but doing a change over was alot of fun. I think I will miss it!
Anyone on this board have stories of change overs still used or prjection booths that were originally changeover?
Tom.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 07:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call for Mr. Guttag!!! [Big Grin]

Actually, there have been quite a few threads on the subject, arguing the merits of platters vs. changeovers, and asking who still uses changeovers (more screens than you might think).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-01-2003 08:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to be kidding!

We just installed the American Film Institute's Silver Theatre complex (3-screens) all changeover. I'm heading down to Williamsburg, VA to upgrade their sound system...both screens changeover. The drive-in we service in Virginia (Dalke's Family Drive-In)...both screens changeover...in fact, Mr. Dalke only has one screen with a platter in any of his facilities...only one to go down too (static related problems).

Those are just examples....about 90% of the theatres we service are changeover...only the mall-plexes are platter types.

Steve

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-01-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Platters suck! Just ask Brad, he'll agree. [Smile]

BTW, who needs automation?

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 10:09 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too miss the changeover days, although I'm no longer a projectionist (now service tech for the past 23yrs.)the reel to reel machines looked like a projector with real lamphouses (carbon or Xenon)not consoles...it is a pleasure to service a Reel to reel booth although I no longer get a chance to do...the projection staff today haven't a clue what it was like to do changeovers, most projectionist do not know the reel change cue mark are even on the film, if some do, they do not know what they are for....yes I am glad I came in on the tail end of carbon lamps, reels change ect in the early 70's before platters, xenon lamps,console...this was when a projectionist was a projectionist, NOW...they are film jockys !!! Even in my line of work now, I was once call "the sound engineer" now Iam a theatre technician....I hate to say it...but I miss the old days !!! But love the new digital technology...I remember when I 1st started in the booth, we had 35-50 watts mono amplifiers, when I went to work at another theatre that had a 100-watts amplifier...whooaaa weeeee I thought I had something, now I install 7,000 to 29,000 watts sound systems....what a difference 30 yrs makes !!!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still run changeovers. The only time I get to run platters are
when I'm sent out to do premieres and media screenings away from my screening room. One of the Paramount executives I run film for still has carbon arc screening room at his home. I wish I
could go back to running change overs on premieres.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 11:30 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

29,000 watts sound systems

[Confused] [Eek!] [Confused]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-01-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Lincoln Theatre in Mount Vernon (A performing arts center) still runs Simplex E-7's and changeovers, I think. Haven't heard much if they have changed anything in the last three years.

Hopefully, I'll have some pictures of the Lincoln for Brad to post.

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of our theatres are change-over. We run 6000ft spools in all except one where we retained 2000ft spools and carbon arc.
One great advantage of the 2 machines is that one fails for any reason, the show can still continue, unlike an automatic system with just the one machine.
Regards. John Spooner.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still changeover & 20 min reels at my screening room. Running with changeovers is the least laborious thing I do; correcting the damage done to prints by prior platter users is the most. Thus if they ever switched to shipping 6000' reels or full platter loads my workload would drop, not so much because I'd be spending less time at the machines but because I'd be spending far less time at the bench.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My upcoming project, and all that follow, will be changeover and carbon arc (as long as they keep making them). [thumbsup]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-01-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I found out the Lincoln Theatrein Mount Vernon is, indeed, still running Simplex E-7's with manual changeover. The Peerless lamps (which I installed in the '70's) were retired about 2 years ago because carbon rods were getting too hard to come by. They were replaced by Xenon lamphouses. I think I know where they came from.

The booth is still running 2,000-foot reels, though, and they have upgraded the sound system to a Dolby CP-65.

I'll get some pictures of the theatre soon.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinerama Theatre was the last theatre in Consolidated circuit in Honolulu that had a change system because the resident projectionist felt it was easier to exhibit 70mm using a change over system as I was once told. With the demise of wide spread release of 70mm features, the Cinerama eventually went to a platter system and a single projector. I had mentioned this several times before but I also learned that the Waikiki theatres had to pass on 70mm prints of "THE RIGHT STUFF" and "GODFATHER III" because the platter system they had could not run the films without an intermission. I was told most platter can do it especially with DTS encoded prints because the prints lacks the thickness due to the absence of the magnetic tracks. God, how I miss 70mm films, especially the earlier ones that were photographed in 65mm!

-Claude

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-01-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
20 kW to 40kW of audio power is common in the the large format 1570/870 world, depending on theatre size.

>>> Phil

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-02-2003 08:15 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still making 6000 ft. changeovers, and due to the large inventory of reels using small shafts too. Our equipment was installed in June of '53 in anticipation of the opening of the Robe in October of that year. If a mag print ever shows up again we can run that too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: