Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » World's largest conventional indoor screen

Author Topic: World's largest conventional indoor screen
David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 06:21 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this true? The Village Knox V-Max screen in Cinema 1 in Melbourne, Australia has a 28 meter (92ft) x 11.7 (39ft) meter screen on cinemascope ratio. I know there are bigger drive-in screens and I'm sure Imax and other large format screens have more surface area, but is this the largest 35mm indoor screen? The theatre is also equipped for 70mm should a print ever be available again.

David Kilderry

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 07:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the largest permanently installed screen I've heard of for 35mm. I recall that the Spektrum in Oslo Norway was larger, but used for 70mm:

http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/1996/47/id4/spektrum.htm

So what are the details? Getting adequate screen luminance on a screen that size from 35mm is a challenge, to say the least! [Eek!] What lamp, what heat filtration, what projector, what lenses, what type of screen surface? Any special air/water cooling of the film? How is the screen curved? What is the screen luminance and uniformity measurement? Any visible heat effects on the film?

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 07:38 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the details John:

Cinemeccanica Victoria 8 and lamphouse, 10,000 watt xenon lamp, custom refrigerated water cooled head, currently Schneider 32.5mm lens on w/s (Isco Ultra Star HD Plus lenses on order for Matrix Reloaded). Harkness Hall Pearlux 2 screen with slight curve. 12fl at screen centre, dropping to 6-7fl on edges with c/s.

No print has shown any ill effects to date with runs of over 6 weeks experienced. Film is hot to touch on exit from gate. The usual Cinemeccanica glass heat filter is in place.

Tomorrow we are testing a drive-in shutter.

Our 24 meter screens with 7,000 watt lamps performed well, so the 28 meter and 10,000 watt was the next step. The auditorium holds 750 and has people travelling from all over the country to experience it. The concept is called V-Max.

David Kilderry

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-01-2003 07:52 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever run any silver-image B&W prints at those power levels? Keep an eye out for any color prints that use "silver retention" processing, as they may be more heat sensitive in systems that "push the limit" for power:

http://www.theasc.com/magazine/nov98/soupdujour/pg1.htm

A recent film that used silver retention (at least for the US prints) was "Minority Report".

I see that "V-Max" even made your company's financial report: [Smile]

http://www.villageroadshow.com.au/financial_reports/latest_releases_introduction.asp

http://www.villageroadshow.com.au/financial_reports/pdf/App4B%2011032003.pdf

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: