Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Burning DTS disks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Burning DTS disks
Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 01:21 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the DTS player (DTS-6D) read CD-RW disks? When we start our free summer kiddie shows. I like to be able to play in DTS in our DTS houses. It be cheapter to buy CD-RW instead of CD-R.
Thanks Kyle

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-05-2003 01:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just copy them like any audio cd. With CDRs being about a nickel these days, just burn a 2nd copy for your interlocks and then toss it. I've never tried CDRWs, but there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-05-2003 02:07 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CDRW's can take too long to initially format. Other than that, you'll just have to try it. Like Brad said, there should be no reason for them not to work.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-05-2003 05:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
CDRW's can take too long to initially format.
Surely you only need to format them if writing in UDF format. If you're just burning a normal ISO9660 image onto a CD-RW, I can't see any reason why you can't just shove it in and burn away.

As far as I can see, the only issue would be whether the CD-ROM drive(s) in the DTS player can physically read the data off a CD-RW (multiread compatible or not). Even if it/they can't, you could probably replace them with one(s) that can for very little expense. I'd be reluctant to do that, though, because CD-RWs are far more susceptible to dirt and scratching and the last thing you want is for the DTS to fail during a show. As Brad points out, CD-Rs are virtually given away nowadays. Given that you don't need the recording to last for any signficant length of time (i.e. just for the week or two you're playing the film), I'd just buy the really cheap CD-Rs and bin them when you're done.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-05-2003 06:31 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TEAC 32x CD-ROM drives which are in most dts-6D will probably not read CD-RW. I remember one or two occasions when they rejected CD-RWs. However, there are different types of CD-RW. Maybe the drives have less problems with some of them.
I don`t have a dts-6D within reach at this time, so it would be interesting if somebody could try it and let us know if it worked!

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sould of mention before. I be burning 6 extra copies. We are doing 2 days this year, hopefully it be the same movie. If not that be even more burning. But any how those 6 extra copys can add up in money, and im not sure if home office will spend the money. Since no one had tried to use CD-RW, and if no body beats me to it, i give it a try, and see whats happens.
Kyle

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-05-2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have some of the older CD drives like the 2x toshibas they may have problems reading a disk burned at a hirer speed

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 11:20 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recently had to "upgrade" our drives on one of our DTS units when it would drop out during the show. The drives were replaced with actual CD-RW drives.

In the past, I found if it's not an actual CD-RW drive, you would need an extra piece of software (like DirectCD) to read/write to it. Haven't experienced this lately since almost all drives these days are CD-RW and there are very few plain old CD-R drives out there.

=TMP=

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-05-2003 12:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much are CD-R blanks there, anyway? In a day and age where the blanks can be found (in my area, anyway) for $0-$.20 apiece, I don't really see the point of the rewriteable media, especially with its increased tendency to not play in many drives.

I like Taiyo Yuden CD-R media; Mitsumi is a good choice, too. Avoid the cheapo brands in general (though they might work OK for your purposes).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-05-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CD-RW?!? Noooooo!

I once had a CD-RW DTS test disc... it never really worked well (if at all).

Even if you were to burn 6 copies of each disc or 12 a week, it wouldn't cost you much more than $4.00 a week anyway. If the company won't cover that cost then just make sure your SR sound is well tuned.

Why do you need 6 copies of each disc anyway?

How many weeks are you going to be running these movies for... is the cost of the 12 CD-RW's (per movie for 6 copies each) really cheaper than the weekly cost of CD-R's?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-05-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget, you have to keep CD-RWs scrupulously clean. When you try to erase/reburn them, the TINIEST little scratches or specks of dirt can cause a bad burn and the disk won't read... even IF the drive is supposed to read CD-RWs. You will have to burn each set of disks and take them straight to the players, keeping them in their cases the whole time. No fingerprints! No setting them down on top of the rack unless they are inside their case!

If your booth is anything like the ones I worked in, prints move around all the time and disks get switched on an almost daily basis. CD-RWs that get suffled around that much are bound to get scratched and dirty in a short period of time. If people who work in your area are anything like the ones I used to work with, they won't respect the fact that those disks have to be kept "Hospital Clean". They will trash them in no time flat, necessitating their replacement in a short time.

If you get plain old CD-Rs, you burn the disk, use it and toss it when you're done. If the disk gets dirty, scratched or just plain stops working you simply toss it out and burn another.

I like to burn music CDs to play in my car on long trips. When the trip's over I TOSS the disks! CD-Rs literally cost 25 cents apiece. You can afford to toss them. CD-RWs are a lot more expensive.

Last time I bought disks I got a whole "cake box" of 100 disks for less than $25.00. If you use an average of 10 disks a week, your weekly cost will be $2.50 and you will only have to replenish your stock every 10 weeks or so. (If you don't waste disks.)

Buy CD-RWs and pay at least $10 for a set of them, which you will have to replace every few weeks as they stop working, one by one, and you will end up spending a lot more money in the end.

How about doing a test run before deciding on which route to take?

Buy 2 sets of CD-RWs and 2 sets of CD-Rs. Burn them and use them as normal.

1) See if the CD-RWs actually work. If not, you didn't spend a whole lot of money just to find that out.

2) See if the CD-RWs get beat up and require replacement.

3) See how many copies of the disks you ACTUALLY end up burning every week. (Some weeks you might not burn ANY. Other weeks you might burn enough for ALL your players

4) Do a cost analysis based on what you found out from your experiments: Average of "D" disks per week at "C" dollars per disk = "W" average cost per week.
Run this analysis for a month or so, every week. (Or just program it into a spreadsheet and make a prediction.) After your experimental period you ought to be able tell your home office exactly how much things will cost them in the long run.

If you can supply your bosses the "math" that shows that something will be cheaper in the long run they'd be fools not to listen. Furthermore, if they DON'T listen to your advice they won't have a leg to stand on when they try to complain about too much money being spent.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 06:48 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the ads that come with your Sunday paper. You will find someone selling a 50 pack of CD-R's for somewhere between $5.00 and $1.99. Forget CD-RW's, they are a pain, and too expensive.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-05-2003 06:52 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I remember reading when I bought my first CD-r/rw drive. You could not put a CD-RW disc in a drive that was not CD-RW capable and expect it to read correctly or read at all. We tried to burn a copy of a DTS disce and run it using a CD-R but the unit kept refusing to run it. Don't know why. I was not the one who burned the copy so I am not sure what they may have done in the burning process.

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i guess i skip out on the CD-RW. I see how much the CD-R will cost. The reason i need 6 copies is we are interlocking 13 projectors. Not sure how many weeks we are doing this year, but i do no we are doing it 2 times a week.
Kyle

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-05-2003 08:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just make CD-R dupes. Your time is worth more than the very minor cost savings of trying to re-use some CD-RW discs. RW just takes too long to write and, like some have pointed out, they probably won't be read in the DTS drives. The CD-ROM drives in the DTS-6D units don't seem to have any problem reading 8X-speed written CDs. The old 2-drive units with the Toshiba drives could reject them though. If you write CDs at faster speeds be sure to test the discs before trying them out on a paying audience.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: