Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Oil level in Victoria 5

Author Topic: Oil level in Victoria 5
Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 06:42 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being my first post, let me just say after browsing through some of the previous threads and links what a fantastic web-site this is. Now...
On my Victoria 5 projector there is no oil showing in the view port,or at times it is extremely low. (I don't here the intermittent unit clanking). I checked it multiple times, cold and hot. While the projector is running I can see oil swirling around back there. I can not add more oil because the fill tube looks to be at its max. Why isn't the oil showing properly in the view port ? According to the manual the oil should be changed at 500 hrs and I believe it has been at least that long. Could this be the problem ?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-07-2003 07:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could an airlock be causing the filler tube to look full when the intermittent unit isn't?

It's been several years since I've touched a Vic 5 now, but I do seem to remember that you could sometimes get a false oil level (i.e. seriously above or below the red dot) reading, especially during the 10 minutes or so after the machine has finished running a feature.

If the problem won't go away I'd be inclined to drain it and refill it, then see what gives.

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 07:44 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leo that seems the likely answer to this problem. Changing the oil looks simple enough with that fill tube however me being relatively new to these projectors, anything I should take note of?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-07-2003 08:06 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can remember you just unclip the filler pipe, point it downwards into a container and let the oil drain out. I'd turn over the intermittent very gently by hand as it finishes draining to make sure it is all released. When replacing the oil, you'll need to use something like an oilcan for a car (i.e. something with a nozzle) to get it in the pipe without causing any mess. I'd introduce the oil very slowly and gently with the pipe clipped in place, again turning over the intermittent by hand in order to make sure that it fills the cross box evenly. Once oil starts appearing in the sight glass, then as far as I can remember, that should be it.

Erik Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 08:09 AM      Profile for Erik Stevens   Email Erik Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just installed Vic 5 projectors into our new locations. After filling them all with oil, I noticed that sometimes you need to wait 30 seconds or so for the oil to go down, even if the filler tube looks full. Sometimes it takes the pressure/weight of the oil in the funnel to make the oil go down.

Good luck!

Ciao,

Erik

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 02:55 PM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought - Have you got the racking handle in the correct position? - From memory it should be at the exact centre of travel.

If the oil in the tube is higher than the level in the window with the racking central then I think you may have either an airlock (turning the motor by hand should alleviate this) or a blockage. Sometimes the plastic pipes get brittle (when exposed to the harsh light conditions and ozone). If it snaps off when you bend it you will need to replace it - I used plastic tubing from Boots in the UK - original purpose - For home wine making!

Mike

Joop de Gruiter
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 06:07 PM      Profile for Joop de Gruiter   Email Joop de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually unscrew a screw on top of the intermittant unit to let the air out so that the oil can replace it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: