Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Panalogic 1400 and 2000 with Panastereo - making nice vol fades

Author Topic: Panalogic 1400 and 2000 with Panastereo - making nice vol fades
Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two complexes which I am responsible for programming the Panalogic units in. They are a mixture of CA1400 and CA2000 MkII units.

I am looking for a nice way to get these units to execute a volume fade. For example, I want to gradually (over say 6 seconds) drop the non-sync1 level down to 00, so that I can switch to non-sync2 without cutting the non-sync1 feed (which sounds messy)

I have managed to do it in a round about way, by using:

WAIT 1 VOL45
WAIT 1 VOL40
WAIT 1 VOL35 etc etc

while this sounds okay in the auditorium, its a pain to program, especially if I ever need to change the initial start volume etc.

All of these units are connected to Panastereo CSP1200 processors (except one - a Dolby CP50).

Any suggestions as to how to get this to work?

Cheers,

M@

|  IP: Logged

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2003 06:52 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might work. Let the automation select an unused format(like MAG) Insert a WAIT cue timed to correspond to the fade-out time for non-sync 1. After the wait time, let the automation select non-sync 2.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-08-2003 08:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try options bank A switch number 3(AS101 card)...setting it to "ON" is supposed to change the volume ramp time to 5-seconds instead of the normal 1-second.

Steve

[PS Moderator(s)...shouldn't this topic be in the FHF?]

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 07:26 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew

The Panastereo CSP1200 has built-in fade times that can be set to fast or slow in the setup menu. There are separate fade times for film formats and non-sync formats. Normally the film formats are set for a fast fade and non-sync formats set for a slow fade. If you select a film format when you are in a non-sync format, the system will do a crossfade, fading the non-sync format down slowly whilst quickly fading up the film format. If you want to fade the non-sync format slowly down BEFORE you go to the film format, then program the automation to select MUTE, wait 6 seconds and then select film.

The system with the CP50 is a little different because the CP50 does not have an in-built fade and does not use serial data to control format and volume. So it's volume will be controlled by a voltage output on the AS101. However you can still set up the automation program the same way (select mute, wait 6 seconds then select film) but do as Steve G suggests and set the AS101 fade rate to slow. This way the AS101 automatically fades down the CP50's volume at a slow rate. One word of caution though. The original CA1400 firmware does not have this slow fade feature so if the CP50 is married to a CA1400 you would need to contact us for a firmware upgrade.

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew

Further to the above, if you are changing from one non-sync format to another non-sync format, the CSP1200 will do a dip-fade (fades the current non-sync format down to zero then fades up the new non-sync format) This dip-fade can be set to fast or slow, but is normally set to fast. So the solution I gave above will also work for what you want to do. Program the automation to select mute, wait 6 seconds, then select non-sync 2. With this programming, non-sync 1 will be faded down slowly because it is going to mute, but when you then select non-sync 2 it will fade up fast because it is going from one non-sync format to another.

The solution for the CP50 is not so simple. We may need to add a "fade volume over so many seconds" command to the automation. Well I don't see why not, damn thing does just about eveything else under the sun [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: