Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong's 25370 reflector replacement kit.

Author Topic: Strong's 25370 reflector replacement kit.
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 11:59 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong offers a 25370 relector replacement kit for Highlight II and Super Highlight II consoles when 4000 to 7000 watt bulbs are used. Featuring a 12.5-inch reflector instead of the standard 15-inch unit, this replacement claims to give a better light.

Anyone tried this?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-20-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for what it is worth, size is sometimes not that important. I would guess it depends on how well the mirror was optically engineered.

As an example, the old ORC XH-30 lamphouse with it's puney 9-inch reflector (or whatever it is) will beat the pants off the 12.5-inch reflector in the ORC Optimax Console. The console I am referring to has been lazer aligned, and you name it. But I just cannot get a good light out of it, but yet, the 45-degree reflector is in good condition. The projector has the standard 90-degree shutter, too. Anything smaller that that will give me a travel ghost on the screen.

The thing I would be concerned about with the new design is how well it can withstand the heat generated by the lamp, and how well the venting system can keep the heat within manageable limits. But I am sure that issue has been expored.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 02:02 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all
I never experienced the 12" reflector on a strong console, but we used one in a super 80 lamphouse mounted on a Cinemeccanica projector head for an "open air " cinema.
But every time i've experienced troubles on a Highlight console equiped with a 15" reflector. and a 7 kW lamp. Impossible to achieve an good light result. Even we change two time the mirror
One tech who came from U.S. told me: You know bud, You could never have a good light if your lamphouse is misaligned, and worst, an eliptical mirror will never be perfect like the manufacturer of the mirror will say.
From this time I asked my boss to buy an Align-o-tron: my nightmare will end when I aligned my lamphouse with this usefull tool. Thanks Greg !
On the picture You can see me and this [Mad] named console, trying to align it with "the cord method" [Big Grin]

My life has changed forever since I Use the Align-O-tron ! [IMG]
 - [/IMG]

P.S. I'm agree with Paul to say that size is not the most important sometimes [Big Grin]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-20-2003 04:02 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rick!
A certain chain with a 3-letter name has the smaller reflectors in some of their Canadian 7K houses, and the light is certainly equal to the 15". We never did a comparo but they haven't had any unusual problems and haven't replaced any (at least not bought replacements from us).
When I first opened one for alignment I was sure someone had sent the wrong console to that booth.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-21-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Movie Chain in Canada, who could that be?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: