Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » installing explosion-proof electrical boxes

Author Topic: installing explosion-proof electrical boxes
Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we are getting quotes from electrical contractors for the construction of a very small art cinema - the contractor said we needed explosion proof electrical boxes and outlets, this is the first i have heard of a requirement like this. maybe with older systems with older codes but i am sure i have not seen this in other cinemas (main power throw switch boxes perhaps but that is all).

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are your electical contractors using the correct section of the hydro code-book? It may be necessary to remind them that we haven't used highly-flamable film in years.
If it is anything like the Ontario code-book, the rules for electrical installation with nitrate film use are still in there.

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2003 12:21 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Micheal,

I agree with Rick that it may be a good possibility that your electricican or contractors are taking the book to far. Although we still have inthe Ontario hydro code book the old requirements when nitrate was around it is not enforced in the least. I would find it very hard to beleive that this is an actual requirment although codes do vary from province to province as well as local to local.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-12-2003 10:06 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year in Ontario I had a Ontario Hydro Inspector refuse to budge on that issue and made us rip out all the EMT and sealtight and replace it with threaded ridgid conduit as per the code book
not pretty.
I served on the csa standards committee and fouight for several years to get that whole issue cleaned up but the insurance companies lobbied very strongly against any change for theatrical venues

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-12-2003 11:47 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inspections are done by the utility? Interesting.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 12:32 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that whole incident with that nightclub fire in Rhode Island isn't exactly helping things like that along. It seems like every electrical inspector and fire marshall you can find is expecting any place that has more that 20 people in one place at one time, to just spontaniously combust.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-13-2003 08:48 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The contractor is seriously mistaken. No commercial theatre anywhere has ever needed to use explosion proof electrical gear. Possibly theatres on warships do?
Explosion proof equipment is designed for areas that may be expected to have an explosive atmosphere. No aspect of projection room operation now or in the past would create an explosive atmosphere.
You may be required to use rigid conduit as Gordon did, but inspectors trying to enforce obsolete and expensive bits of the electrical code are often fishing for a contribution to their favorite charity, or else someone on the project has really pissed the inspector off.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your comments are all interesting.

steve, who does the inspections in chicago? i know your regulations are very strict.

gordon, yes conduit is a given - the oxford cinema had to be re wired in the booth, prior to the conduit, it was wired with what amounted to outdoor extension chord.

rick/kris we are checking codes

andrew, have similar circumstances really been affected by those unfortunate events.

dave, i am starting to believe in the conspiracy theory.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-16-2003 01:15 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume the city does the inspections. I didn't build my facility so I didn't have to deal with them. The fire inspector comes around every few years but that's something else.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: