Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Beware of dts problems with "The Hulk" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Beware of dts problems with "The Hulk"
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-19-2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Have 2 prints here of the Hulk and both of them came with defective discs (printing, not physical damage). They will not read reel 6.

What are the odds? I'd say it's good enough to assume that there are lots of others out there like this. Be sure and check out your copies before you go onscreen to the public in dts.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads-up Brad, will listen for this.

Coleman L. Zatarain
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 12:21 AM      Profile for Coleman L. Zatarain   Author's Homepage   Email Coleman L. Zatarain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having this same issue with our 3 prints. One is going "in and out" and the other two are not reading at all.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-20-2003 10:34 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had yellow on the end of reel one, causing a brief drop out. Haven't run it in DTS yet.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We had yellow on the end of reel one...
Yellow-colored fog is usually from accidental exposure of the unprocessed print film to white light, because the blue-sensitive (yellow dye forming) layer of print film is much faster than the red or green sensitive layers.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, are you sure it's the discs? All our discs here are working. Are you sure it's not a print problem?

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm sure it is the discs. I tried copying the files to my hard drive and reel 6 would not copy.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 06:05 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the lab did to our prints but the timecode lights on our readers are blinking like cheesy chistmas tree lights. I had to run both of our DTS houses in SR this afternoon because they were jumping in and out of DTS every 5 or 10 seconds.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 07:02 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All our discs are fine here but I'm getting calls on bad prints for this movie.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2003 07:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you mean "all but at least two of our discs are fine". If the file cannot be copied from the cdrom to a hard drive on a pc, then that HAS to be a disc issue. I just find it awfully odd that two sets would have the same disc issue on the same file. I'll bet there are more out there, which is why I put the alert up for people to check their dts.

I have replacement discs coming. We'll see if they work.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah... that is strange. Ours are fine.

Are these things copied on several duplicators?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-20-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find this whole thing about bad DTS disks and bad prints rather disturbing. DTS time code tracks are less susceptable to damage than SRD or SDDS because they don't come in contact with runner shoes, bands, or slides.

Karen, maybe it is time to do a little investigation in "who is screwing up" and get the good old quality control back into disk pressing and film reproduction. This crap about "getting it out on the streets and let's worry about making it work later" philosophy really indeed sucks the "Big One" and HAS TO BE STOPPED!!!!

I have noted quality control has been severely lacking on all products lately, and it is sickening! I am trying to be polite about this, but I am starting to get very angry about "film done wrong" and slip-shod cheap-assed quality control by film companies and disk pressers as well. [fu] [Mad] [sex] [thumbsdown] [bs]

[puke]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, Paul...

Just what are you trying to say????? [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If it makes you feel any better Paul, the SRD tracks on the Hulk prints play fine and dandy.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some of the problem is in that damn technicolor lab. Bruce almighty, 2 fast 2 furious and now the hulk have had timecode issues to some degree. I think something could be out of calibration or something on those printers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: