Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DA20 hook up to CP65...won't switch to SRD

Author Topic: DA20 hook up to CP65...won't switch to SRD
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still trying to hook up my DA20 to my CP65. I've got it plugged in and I've got sound coming out. I'm getting errors up to 4. I've just been running a loop of trailer and it seems to be working fine....except.
I was under the impression that the DA20 would switch the CP65 in to format 10 when the DA20 detected signal. Although the DTS6 unit does do this the DA20 won't. Is there a switch or something I'm missing on the DA20? The CP65 wakes up in non-sync, if that means anything.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-03-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, right above the penthouse delay offset controls there is another control numbered 1-9, then it has some letters.

For a CP65 "auto digital" (like dts) you want to set it to 2.
For a CP65 "digital when told" (my preference) you want to set it to 6.
For a CP65 "digital always" (no reversion to analog - for testing) you want to set it to A.

Note that the first generation of cat611 cards cannot perform "auto digital". Only the later "cat611A" card can. For a cat611 card, you would want to set it to 2. This operates the same way as "digital when told" does on the cat611A card. The unit will not play digital until you or your automation pulses the CP65 into digital. Then from that point on for the rest of the show it will bounce back and forth between digital and SR, playing digital when available.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its says Cat 611 rev 3 on the card. I have that switch set on position 2. So this means I have to push the Format 10 button to make it work? Darn!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-03-2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have an automation? If so, just change the wiring so that it pulses format 10 when the douser opens.

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 04:55 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be a daft question, in which case slap me. But, you do have the DA20 Sense & Control cable plugged into the right section of the DTS Control logic breakout board?

If it is not receiving the signals from this cable then the DA20 will continue to operate (free wheel) and will not pulse the system.

On the front of the Da20 are you getting the CP LEDS lit? Does it work when you don't have the dts system connected at all? As Brad says, there is a setting inside the DA20 for the CP processor type - I.e. 55, 65, 200, 100 etc.

Mike

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"..... It may be a daft question, in which case slap me. But, you do have the DA20 Sense & Control cable plugged into the right section of the DTS Control logic breakout board?....."

When I couldn't get it to automatically switch in I removed the DTS board, so it would have a "straight shot" at the plug in, thinking that it might be something screwy with the DTS board. It didn't work any differently when I plugged it "straight in"

"....On the front of the Da20 are you getting the CP LEDS lit?...."

Yes, but I'm still learning which leds mean what

"....Does it work when you don't have the dts system connected at all? As Brad says, there is a setting inside the DA20 for the CP processor type - I.e. 55, 65, 200, 100 etc....."

I have the DTS system disconnected now and I do have it set to the proper CP.
Last night after I read Brad's post I went down and started it up again and manualy set it to Format 10. Then I turned the power supply for the reader on and off and as I did that it dropped to analog and came back to Digital. So it appears to be working as designed. I'm just a little surprised that if it can switch from analog to digital after the button has been pushed it can't do it before the button is pushed.
I have automation , but it's ME

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-04-2003 01:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That was the original design of the DA20, "digital when told" which I am a huge fan of. I do NOT like it when things just take control of the system and assume that I want some particular format to play. Dolby's well thought out design lets the unit sit there happily until the projectionist or automation decides that it is now time to commence digital playback. That is something SDDS and DTS should have also implemented. Like I said, just press "digital" instead of "SR" when you start the show and it will operate just like your dts does.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-26-2005 08:03 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 906 days since the last post.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2005 08:03 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.

2 houses with DA20s hooked up to CP65s. One recently stopped "Auto digital". The other stopped a few months ago. They were working fine, and one day seemed to cease "Auto digital". They will go into auto digital only for the first show. After that, you've got to do it manually. What gives?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: