Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cord Screen

Author Topic: Cord Screen
Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 05:49 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody tell me what is an Ecran Cordon, or Cord Screen ?
Apparently it is a type of projection screen, but I have never heard the name.
Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 07:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like French to me.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 07:49 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick google search for "Cordon Ecran" comes up with screened cord(or cable) but no cinematic references.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 08:13 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sounds like French to me.
Oui! As a masculine noun has it two meanings; cord, as in a synonym for string or rope (e.g. cordon d'alimentation - power lead, or cordon médullaire - spinal cord) and cordon as in barrier (e.g. cordon sanitaire - quarrantine).

If you were trying to describe a screen made of cord (i.e. 'cordon' being the adjective, not the noun) I would expect it to be 'écran de cordon' (like écran de fumée - smokescreen), not 'cordon écran'. 'Cordon de écran' would be 'cord of screen', whilst omitting the 'de' turns 'écran' into a verb, i.e. the 'screened cord [cable]' uneartherd by Dick's Google search.

There again I haven't formally studied French for 16 years and my only recent experience of using the language is on holiday and after having drunk significant amounts of the substance which I understand the US now refuses to import on patriotic grounds, so the above might not be quite right!

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 09:41 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'screened cord [cable]' uneartherd by Dick's Google search.

Leo was the pun intentional

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 03:59 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe "Ribbon Screen"? Conceivably like some of the panel screens of the past.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 06:54 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a lenticular screen? -- the grooves might translate as "cordon".

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 02:33 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe "Ribbon Screen"? Conceivably like some of the panel screens of the past.
Quite possibly. Doesn't Cordon Bleu translate as Blue Ribbon?
So perhaps it is a Cinerama type screen,just like ours in Bradford
[Embarrassed]
Why didn't I think of that [Confused] [Mad]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 12:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick sair "Quite possibly. Doesn't Cordon Bleu translate as Blue Ribbon"
If it is a blue ribbon screen it must be for sin-eramma blue movies [beer]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-09-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screen Cord is used when you install a curved screen. in plan view looking down at the curve of the screen draw a line from left to right from the outer edges.

You then measure from the center of the screen to the line.

This measurement is the cord.

When you measure the projection throw distance you measure to the cord not the screen surface. Remember to measure from the aperture plane not the port.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 01:13 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From THE WIDESCREEN MUSEUM of Marty Hart:

Screen Chord

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-09-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Mark's terrific post, they are measuring from the picture edge which is the correct way to proceed.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leo was the pun intentional

Nope, just a typo - sorry to disappoint!

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 03:57 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for your replies.
A theatrical friend tells me that he thinks an Ecran Cordon was used in the live theatre.(Probably Victorian)
It seems to have consisted of a central panel with a number of reflective panels, angled towards the centre, on either side.
A picture, probably from a Magic Lantern, was projected onto the centre, and reflected by the side panels thereby giving a type of 3D effect.
So this could be an early form of what we now call a lenticular screen.
The name still survives in the world of French made wide angle of vision plasma screens.Or so Google tells me.
I rather like Gordon's explanation.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 02:18 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This book (which a friend of mine translated) is pretty much the definitive history of Victorian optical media technology. A colleague has my copy, but I'll try and repossess it from her and see what it says about écrans cordon.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: