Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Monee Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Monee Projector
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been offered a Monee projector. I've never heard of the machine. It looks like a Century. Do you know anything about it? Is it still being manufactured (or are parts available for it) and if so where? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-25-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Monee projector is made in Bangladore India and is in production. International Cinema, Cinema Film Systems and others have imported the machine. If the machine has been in use in the U.S. it has probably been upgraded on the exciter lamp assembly and the seals in the intermittent, at least, and / or star and cam bearings upgraded for platter type operation. Allen set screws on the projector gears versus the screws supplied are advised. The soundhead uses oilite sleeve bearings on the drive shaft so this maintinance has to be considered. Parts are available but be sure you have the standard Century 20 degree pitch gearing instead of the 14.5 degree ( which has longer life ) since this would tie you to one source of parts. The Monee is a better clone than the Cinecita units which have been out of production for many years.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2003 02:41 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Monee is made in India, and is a near direct copy of the Century. I say near direct copy because it has some design modifications, similar to the London built Westrex Westar. They are still made today, so spares shouldn't be a problem. I try not to use Monee parts on Monee machines, as fitting a Strong Century past on a Monee is a definite upgrade! The quality of the Monee can be somewhat variable. The problems I've seen with them are mainly the grade/quality of the steel shafts. It's far too soft and wears very quickly; the accusracy of the castings and milled flats (for example where the film trap mounts) can leave a lot to be desired, it's not uncommon to find a machine that has very uneven focus, and on careful examination you find the the lens and film trap planes are not perpendicular. If you're lucky you can sort it out by carefully shimming the lens or trap (slices of coke cans are ideal for this). The screws are often a mixture of imperial and metric sizes amd often if you take two machines, and look at the same screws on each machine, they will be different!

All that said if you get it free or cheap and are prepared to spend some time and money on replacing dodgy Monee parts you will end up with a machine capable of Century like performance.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-25-2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the comments above, unless these things are way less than half the price of a Century why would anybody buy one?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-25-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazingly these machines do tend to keep running and are fairly servicable
One thing that was vastly superior in the Westrex design (monee and the like as well) was the upper and lower sprocket was on a sub assembly much like the simplex xl and it allowed for good alignment of the verticle shaft

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with about a dozen of them over the last 20 years is pretty much like this....

If you get a good one its pretty much as good as a Century.... but there is no way to tell without putting it in daily service.

The screws self loosen. This is quite common on the verticle shaft and other important assemblys. Keep checking. Gives the operator something to do.

The intermittents are VASTLY INFERIOR no matter what! it may run nice now but in two years it'll sound like a meat grinder. Good thing though is that the LaVezzi rebuild kit will fit in it.

Hope some of the "my" experiences might help you decide one way or the other......
Mark@CLACO

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2003 04:10 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personaly I don't like verry munch theses projectors: Is verry difficult to en sure a good focus uniformity, because the turret move itself. For the spare parts no one part can replace another one easely: Anytime You have to make some adjustements when You remplacing parts...
Even, a century spare part could never fit in a Monee projector...
A good point: they are the cheapest projectors in the market...

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-26-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of these, and I have few problems with them. Well, the other week one of them had the round knob to open the trap come loose, so it couldn't be opened. But then I had the exact same problem with an original Century the week after...

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-17-2006 08:36 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 934 days since the last post.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-17-2006 08:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd dredge this one back up and mention that I had a verticle shaft in a Monee snap in two pieces yesterday. Perhaps that says something about the quality of Indian Steel...... [thumbsdown] .

Anyone else seen this happen to one?

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-18-2006 02:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..are those LIT/Century machines actually Monees? Saw the one at the LIT booth at Showest - a little bit different than what a Century should be.

Can't see STRONG licensing their Centurys to LIT, thus wondered if these where the Moneee POS's.

-Monte

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-18-2006 04:03 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the LIT machine is made by Monee.

-Aaron

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-18-2006 08:34 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you received the machine for free and then you did a full Century "conversion"...all shafts and gears and intermittent, you may well have a good machine. Beware the oilite soundhead bearings. I make a kit to convert to Century shaft and ball bearings. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing about the Monees that I service is that they are 1. Standard Drive.... and 2. They sound heads are already all ball breearing from the factory... There musta been a number of variations on the theme... I know Richard F. claimed they were like a direct drive Century...... Not true at least of these.

Mark

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold it guys!!!!

I DID NOT post that and I have not been offered a Monee. Someone is playing games.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: