Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-55 and CP-65 -- Major Differences? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP-55 and CP-65 -- Major Differences?
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-12-2003 09:33 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the key differences between a CP-55 and a CP-65?

While you're at it...are they similar?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-12-2003 10:44 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the CP-65 is much easier to interface with a digital processor such as the DA-20 or the DTS-6D.

Ihave heard people swear AT the CP-65, and some swear BY them. on the other side of the coin, I have heard some swear AT the CP-55 and some swear BY them.

The CP-55's we had appeared to be very reliable. So, I would swear BY them. [Smile]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-12-2003 11:10 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP-55 does not have internal SR cards, it requires CAT 180s in an SRA-5. The CP-65 has two internal CAT 350 SR cards.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-12-2003 11:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP55 only has a 4-channel aux mode, and must be modified to handle 6-channel aux sources (Like digital plyers)
The CP55 uses a 222 A-type NR card but can be modded to take the 222SR/A card or can be interfaced with a SRA5 adapter to get 'real' SR from 280T's.

The CP65 has a 6 channel aux mode and all the hardware to provide split surround and subwoofer EQ and control right out of the box.

quote:
The CP-65 has two internal CAT 350 SR cards.
I have NEVER seen any CP65 with Cat 350 cards. All I have seen had the Cat 222 SR/A NR card in them.

-Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-12-2003 12:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe CP65 also supports format 42 70mm when the two extra NR cards are installed

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-12-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Sisemore
I have NEVER seen any CP65 with Cat 350 cards. All I have seen had the Cat 222 SR/A NR card in them.
I have heard (mainly in this forum) that the CAT 222 SR/A cards don't track as well as the 350s do.

[ 10-20-2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Jack Ondracek ]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-12-2003 01:43 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron wrote:

quote:

I have NEVER seen any CP65 with Cat 350 cards. All I have seen had the Cat 222 SR/A NR card in them

It is exactly the opposite with me, all the 65s I have seen have had 350s, I have never seen a 222 SR/A.

The 65 was offered in several configuration, including:

A mono version. Why is difficult to imagine, I suppose It gave an upgrade path to a future stereo installation, which a 364/E2 didn't.

An 'A' only version with a Cat. 222 only.

An SR and A version with a 222 and two 350s

An SR and A version with a 222 SR/A, I assume this was cheaper.

An SR and A version with four channels of 'A' for magnetic with a 222 SR/A and two Cat. 300s

All of these are listed by Dolby, but all the 65s I have seen have been the 222 + 2x350 version. I have no idea how many of each version were sold.

Paul wrote:

quote:

Ihave heard people swear AT the CP-65

Any idea why they don't like them? I thiink they were the best processor Dolby made, unless you need something special like more than two projectors, magnetic followers, full support for all 70mm formats etc.

I haven't used the 100 or 650, but I prefer the 65 to the 50, 55, 45 or 500. I haven't used anything other than a 65 for recently.

Quite recently Dolby were still offering two versions of the 65, I don't know if they still are, but these were only available to studios and dubbing theatres. Dolby refused to supply to anyone else. I don't know why.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 08:04 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont believe that the CP65 has achieved CE certification, and with a pile of holes, an internal power supply and a flip down lid it'd unlikely to. You could debate the virturs of CE till you're blue in the face, as I doubt if anyone in reality has experienced a CP65 generating any sort of electrical noise - so be it though...

Steven - doesnt Croydon have a 222SRA ?? You are right - the CP65 Mono was a de carded version for sites intending to upgrade - the only one we've seen was at the Irish Film Institute, which came as A type Mono. (Now upgraded to SRD)..

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-13-2003 11:20 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original version of the 65, equipped for SR but not for 70mm, had the 222 (2 channels of A on one card) and 2 Cat.350's (1 channel each of SR). The 70mm version (basically just for Format 42) had the 222 and Cat.300's (1 channel each of A or SR) in place of the 350's. to allow for 4 channels of A. (I guess at the time the idea of 70mm SR was too mind boggling to contemplate.)

Later when the 222 SR/A card came out (2 channels of A and pseudo SR on one card) the standard 65 came equipped only with one of those cards and the original version with "real" SR (Cat.350's) became the model 300 and was recommended for studio use, etc.

Going back to that original version, I once questioned a Dolby official why the basic SR version didn't simply route optical Lt/Rt through Cat.300's (1 channel each, SR or A) and dispense with the 222 card entirely, adding it only for the 70mm version for the 2 extra channels of A. This would seem to be a much more efficient and less costly way of building the box. I was told it was internal politics at Dolby, the folks who made the 222 card not wanting to lose the bulk of their sales.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP65 can't do 70mm SR correctly, and can't do split surrounds, (Format 43) Switching from 4 channel Mag to 6 channel is a pain, due to the jumpers on the back that dissconect the Optical Preamp stage. A switch card was avalable to do this when you press Mag though.
Also to switch from Dolby 70mm to Non Dolby 70mm requires a jumper change on the back
All in all you need to add a pile of other electronics at it to do 70mm with no hassle. External NR is the way to go.
Future Projections from London helped mod our CP65 to be able to handle any 70mm format and they even supplied external Dolby NR units for A type or SR. Works a dream. Not in a huge rush to switch it out for the CP200 i have waiting in the wings.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The CP65 can't do 70mm SR correctly
70mm SR?? What's that? What format is that and what films were released in that format?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-13-2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the Harris restoration of Lawrence of Arabia had 70mm SR prints Far Away had a 70mm SR print the Toronto print of hamlet was 70mmSR some of the new 2001 prints are 70mm SR Also the CP200 is far more versitile than the cp65 with any mods is anyday

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-13-2003 08:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
70mm Dolby SR? What format is that?
It's just 70mm with SR noise reduction applied to the mag tracks instead of A-type. 70mm SR actually has greater headroom (+/-22db) than that of 16-bit digital (+/-20db). For a good part of the 1990's many film productions had their 5.1 audio tracks put on 35mm full coat mag six-track printmasters with Dolby SR noise reduction. Now pretty much everything is done in 20-bit or 24-bit digital for archiving.

I watched "Born on the Fourth of July" in 70mm SR at the Ziegfeld theater in New York. It sounded a lot better there than the version you find on DVD.

"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" is another that had a few 70mm Dolby SR prints (I saw the one booked at Loews Astor Plaza). It should also be noted that Dolby SR theatrical made its debut in 70mm on two special prints of "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" (billed as 70mm Dolby Spectral Sound in the Los Angeles ads).

I'm sure there were some innacurate ads for 70mm Dolby SR listings. So I'm unsure about SR being on the 70mm prints of "The Godfather III," "Total Recall," "Air America," "Mountains of the Moon" and "The Doors" just to name a few.

Didn't Dolby sell the 70mm-capable version of the CP-65 as a "CP-65 300"? Two add in cards is all that makes the difference?

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Didn't Dolby sell the 70mm-capable version of the CP-65 as a "CP-65 300"? Two add in cards is all that makes the difference?

I my papers it is called "CP65 (70)" - and yes, that's all.

Local tech mounted a small printcard in my 65, so that both jumper functions can be done from switches in the front, but he told me, this switch card was not available from dolby as original stuff, because, they wanted us to buy CP200.
Remember also the words from the manual and the flyer about CP65: Theatres who run 70mm frequently should chose CP200 - which was not available at that time either (summer 1992).

CP 65 have been working very fine all these years, both screen 1 with MPU-1 (+ dts + ex) and the standard version in screen 2 (sr and dts only).

Only 70mm SR print, I have been running was "Spartacus", from which I got the feeling, that something was not done right. 70mm Dolby A prints sound terrific, but Spartacus was very hissy - no good sound at all. Shouldn't the difference between A and SR normally be like the same on 70 as on 35. I could live with that, but this great one sounded as if I was using kitchen speakers [Confused] .

Per

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm having a memory lock, but I never realized that SR was used on 70mm mag prints. At least I don't think I did. But thanks for the info. Were they still considered formats 41, 42, 43?

I'm in the middle of another research project requiring the use of the NY Times on microfilm. Next time I'm in the library, I'll recheck the ads for these films because I really don't remember SR being used in the ads for any 70mm presentation in NYC.

I did however also see many of the shows that Bobby Henderson saw: "Born on the Fourth of July" at the Ziegfeld and "...Last Crusade" at the Astor Plaza. Also saw "Godfather III", "Total Recall" and "The Doors" in 70mm in NYC, but I don't remember where. I think I remember the sound on "The Doors" being pretty superb, but I don't remember the sound on "Godfather III" being anything special.

What's interesting is that I went back and checked my film/format lists and of the films mentioned, "Born on the 4th of July", "...Last Crusade", "...Voyage Home" and "Mountains of the Moon" do not appear to have been included on Dolby's list of 70mm films. But maybe they fell off the Dolby list precisely because they were in SR. Born, Crusade and Mountains were however on the "in70mm.com" list of 70mm films. My notes on the "The Doors" is unclear, but they seem to indicate that while The Doors was released in 70mm mag, it wasn't necessarily Dolby (or maybe it was Dolby, but discrete and not baby boom). But I'll recheck the ads. Were any of the films mentioned Split Surround?

I also saw the restoration of "Spartacus" and I'm sure the source materials weren't that great. What do you expect for a restoration?

By the way, as I've posted elsewhere, the Ziegfeld seems closed. I don't know whether it's temporary or permanent. I believe the last show was a revival of "The Way We Were." I know that some years back, Disney wanted to buy the Ziegfeld from Clearview, but Clearview didn't want to sell. It would be a real loss if the Ziegfeld has indeed closed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: