Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cat 700 bulb

Author Topic: cat 700 bulb
Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I should know this but what is the exact bulb to use for the cat 700. I very rarely have to change mine but I think it's due and I can't find a number or specs anywhere.
Thanks
I know it's a 10 volt but what's the wattage?

|  IP: Logged

Art Averett
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 06:39 PM      Profile for Art Averett   Email Art Averett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, the lamp is coded EPT. An easy way to remember is Early Pregnancy Test.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-15-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another alternative to the EPT is the EXZ bulb, preferably the one made by Osram.

-Aaron

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-15-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another tid-bit...only the GE version of the EPT works. Apparantly the EPT wasn't as well standardized as it should have been so other forms of EPT will have drastically inferior video levels.

Steve

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just replaced one of these. Anyone have an estimate on how often this is done or should be done?

AJG

Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all I appreciate the help

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-16-2003 02:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We just replaced one of these. Anyone have an estimate on how often this is done or should be done?
When the error rates start going up or the system begins reverting to analog, check the bulb. If it shows even the least bit of 'fogginess' on the reflector, regardless of the condition of the bulb filament , then the bulb must be changed.

-Aaron

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any other A-chain adjustments need to be made after changing the bulb? I can't see how it would as long as the light tube is not removed.

I have four cat 700 readers with their original bulbs from 1998. We rarely used the dolby before, but I would like to get away from SDDS as much as I can.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-29-2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should just be able to replace the bulb. Usually, you'll see the error rate drop noticeably with a new bulb.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Another tid-bit...only the GE version of the EPT works"

Actually Steve, you are wrong on that statement. The WIKO version of the EPT works just as well as the GE version does although the reflector is quite different. Used many of them when I was at GTS and obtained just as good of results of video level and life span.

"but I would like to get away from SDDS as much as I can."

Yea, but SDDS sure sounds miles better than SRD does. If you ahve 3000's SDDS should be no more problem to play back then SRD ocasional is. If you have the older SDDS units then oh well...but they can be made to work pretty darn reliably if your chain gives a hoot.

Mark

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had to get some from dolby because I was having problems finding it here locally. They sent the GE type. Turns out after furthur investigation that there is a problem with the power supply or socket. The reading withour bulb was 10V but the reading with the bulb installed with a load on it was 3.8V. Dolby is sending us another power supply on a repaor/exchange. I hope this remedies our little problem we are having here. As far as the wattage of the bulb as asked in the original question it is 42Watts for future referance.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,
Don't waste your money on this Dolby scam! All thats wrong is the power supply connectors are cooked. This is akin to the USL power bypass switch failing and how many bought new or replacement supplies that didn't need to. Just remove the connectors from the PCB and solder the wires directly to the board. Can't tell you how many 700 power supplies I've seen this happen to but its pretty much every one that I come in contact with. My most recent one was two weeks ago in Wyoming. I have made it a habbit of removing the crap Molex connectors and soldering the wires directly to the board for several years now. If you do yours you can chuckle with me over the available unused pins that Dolby doesn't use for the DC connections that could have alleviated this problem. If you replace it your new power supply will also eventually follow the same route down the road in a few years USL is wise and now leaves the power backup switch off all new supplies!!
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-30-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I'm happily corrected on this statement. I believe it was OSRAM's EPT that simply had a different focal point so the light was not efficient with Cat. 700 set up. Apparantly, even though there is an ANSI EPT, it isn't too well standardized.

Now Wiko I've had mixed results with in general. They are popular now due to cost but I've found the quality of their minature lamps to be quite questionable. I can't speak to their EPT lamp as I have never used them. Thanks for the tip.

Steve

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 07:37 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
We had to get some from dolby because I was having problems finding it here locally. They sent the GE type
You can order the GE bulbs from Grainger for about $36.

I guess I should have said that I want more options than just SDDS. We just got four new cp650/cat701 readers for you big houses and I have four cat700 readers and two da20's on carts. I'm also getting my DTS6D's repaired right now. I just hate having broken down equipment lying around. The DA20's are dropping out but I am pretty sure putting new bulbs in will fix that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: