Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Re-striking a xenon bulb (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Re-striking a xenon bulb
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 02:58 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that a xenon bulb can strike at any state of cooling, that once it goes out you do not have to wait for it to cool down before you can strike it again. We had a show stop for a moment today and when we started it again the bulb would not strike. We had to wait nearly five minutes before we could strike it again. What could cause this? It is a Xenex II lamphouse with a Kni-Tron power supply. We use a mix of Christie and Osram. Not sure which one is in this house.

|  IP: Logged

Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 04:25 AM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to leave the xenon on unless there is a break of an hour. Every time you strike them it puts the eqivalent of perhaps 15 mins time on them - I'm not sure of exact time. I've found that different lamphouses vary in whether they will be difficult to restart after a short interval. It's easier to leave them on!

Chris Greenwell
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 04:31 AM      Profile for Chris Greenwell   Email Chris Greenwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a power bump a few days ago, just enough to stop the machines. My older bulbs had a hell of a time striking back on, but the new ones striked right back up.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 08:24 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have found striking, and especially re-striking a warm lamp, more difficult with an older lamps. Does it take a while for the initial strike at the beginning of the day? How many hours on the lamp?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 08:34 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in a theater that had many problems striking hot lamps. But the lamphouse had definively some problems since all the time the 4000 lamp was black after 4/500 hours.

Bye
A

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 09:06 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In theory a xenon lamp will re-strike at any temperature, but hot re-strikes are more challenging than cold strikes. There are several reasons for this, but the main one is that xenons are tougher to strike as the pressure inside the lamp increases. Different manufacturers pressurize their lamps to different levels at the factory to begin with, and there is a correlation between pressure and the quality of light output. Similarly, the hotter the lamp is the higher the pressure, which can lead to the hot re-striking problem. Also, as the hours pile up on a xenon lamp the electrodes naturally wear causing the gap to increase and making striking more difficult. Then there's the whole issue of ignitor voltage and run amperage which can cause more problems. If everything is running up to spec and your lamp is relatively new you should be able to re-strike hot, but it's not surprising that in a real world situation you might have problems, or at least have to zap it a few times to get a strike while hot.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-21-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work with Xenex II lamphouses year ago. This was a common problem with those. What they did was change the igniter to one that was used in a stong lamphouse. Problem never occured again.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a problem re-striking a hot lamp in our big house. It has a Strong Highlight, switching power supply and a Christie lamp. Since I have worked in many theatres with many size lamps, I knew that it was not the lamp. Indeed, eventually the power supply failed and was replaced. Now there is no problem, ergo it may be a power supply problem.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-21-2003 11:55 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power supplies with lower no-load voltages will have problems starting hot lamps.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 02:02 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No we do not have any problems with a cold strike in this house. Not sure how many hours are on the bulb, but it's a safe bet that it needs replacing. And if the show has stopped because the automation stopped it, the bulb will go out. No way to keep it on.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run 7 Xetron XHN's, never had a problem with a hot bulb striking. I run Osram 1600 w bulbs and the few problems I encounter are due to improper cooling.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-21-2003 09:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to what kind of lamps most of you with problems are using and what kind of systems you are using them in. For instance, you can sit there all day long at 5 second intervals and fire / extinguish / fire / extinguish / fire / extinguish a Christie lamp in an SLC style Christie console (not the older ones though). The same thing can be said for a Christie lamp in a Strong lamphouse with a switcher power supply (at least my 2K units can), and I've never had a glitch from a Christie lamp in a Cinemeccanica lamphouse with Irem supply either. The only time I have ever had issues like this is with high reactance Strong supplies and non-Christie lamps.

BTW, a tip I picked up awhile back that does work nicely. If you have a bulb past it's warranty hours and it is having issues striking and you do not have a spare handy for replacement, up the tap settings one notch for one show, then put them back. I've had lamps run another 3 months without a hint of problem after doing that. (Disclaimer - check with your service tech before doing this. It is ultimately his/her decision.)

Dave Callaghan
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Dave Callaghan   Email Dave Callaghan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to an OSRAM publication, increasing the current is discussed in connection with bulb rotation.

After a rotation, OSRAM suggests operating the bulb at its current control range maximum to re-establish the arc root at the cathode tip to reduce arc instability / flicker.

When a horizontal bulb has just been rotated, OSRAM recommends operating the lamp for 30 minutes to 2 hours at the permitted maximum current to reform the cathode root.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 10:09 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been told, and maybe have read it here, that bulb rotation in a horizontal installation isn't necessary anymore.
The material and technology in the bulb is getting better and the deposit on the quartz isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.
Most of my bulbs never get rotated.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-21-2003 10:12 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lamp rotation should be per the lamp manufacturer's recommendation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: