Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Needing help w/ popping noise coming from speakers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Needing help w/ popping noise coming from speakers
David L Parlier
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2003 02:14 PM      Profile for David L Parlier   Author's Homepage   Email David L Parlier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back, we installed some newer sound equipment in one of our projection booths. A few months after the installation, I began to notice a popping noise (or small crackle) coming from the speakers in the auditorium. This popping noise is not constant and can randomly occur anywhere from 2 to 8 times in a fifteen minute period. It also only seems to happen only when the movie is playing, and not when playing music before the show.

So far I have tried to following:

1) Make sure that everything was as clean as humanly possible.
2) Checked and made sure all connections were tight.
3) Check to make sure that everything was grounded properly. We ended up having a electrician run a new ground wire from the main electrically panel box.
4) Switching out the board on the sound processor.
5) Put in an automatic voltage regular / line conditioner that the sound processor plugs into.

None of this has helped with the popping noise in that auditorium. I am sure that many of our patrons do not hear this popping but some do, and it bugs the hell out of me. Does any else have any solutions or suggestions?

Here is what we have in that booth

- Smart MOD IIC Digital/Optical Stereo Processor
- Smart MN600 6-Channel Monitor
- Kelmar Advance Technology LED
- QSC Amps (can provide model numbers if numbers)
- All JBL Speakers (can provide model numbers if numbers)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-19-2003 02:23 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes a random "popping" noise can be due to static discharge, likely near low level audio signal lines. Be sure to follow all the guidelines to minimize static issues: proper relative humidity, proper grounding, treat non-conductive film handling components (e.g., painted platter surfaces, plastic rollers) with a conductive antistat, etc.

Random "popping" can certainly also be due to a faulty component or connection.

(P.S., please use a more descriptive topic than "Needing some suggestions")

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does this popping happen in all channels or just the center channel or ather channel. Did you check your sound head for loose connections.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-19-2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the smart mod2c switch it to mono and also try it in bypass to see if it is present
The reason is that in mono an as that removes the matrix and noise reduction from the equation
The EQ and output stage should be ok since it doesn't do it in music and they are common as is the amps and speakers and monitor
In Bypass mode a seperate optical preamp is used so if it presists then it is in the reader
check the connections to the reader and the powersupply if that proves to be the source
Also on smart's website is some detailed information re grounding issues with reverse scan readers and their processors

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-19-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem a while back and -- in that case -- it turned out to be a problem with a loose connection on the Kelmar LED power supply. I got a replacement but the old one worked fine after the molex plug was resoldered to the board.

I can't tell if I am explaining this very well. I'll see if I took photos that time.

Of course, this info may or may not help in your case. Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it all turns out.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-19-2003 06:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is one of the white kelamr supplys with the single trim pot on the board I have had the molex burn and corrode as well in a couple of locations

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,
I've had the same problem with Kelmar supplies as well. Its best to completely get rid of the Molex's and solder the wires directly to the pcb. For what ever reason Molex's seem to be the plague inside cinema power supplies.
Mark @ CLACO

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2003 08:04 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 1970's, alot of color televisions used Molex connectors. I never saw them give problems. Whats the deal with what they are using now? Just cheap?

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Molex's were a problem for me on some radio station tape equipment. They'd corrode and turn into strange resistances. I never liked 'em. You're right, Bruce. I remember them being used in those big old TV's between stages.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-19-2003 09:12 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a static discharge to me. Is there a possibility of amplifier input and output cables running parallel in the same bundle? I have run into that a couple of times, and separating the cables and sending them on a different route cleared the problem.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-19-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, sounds like a static discharge problem to me as well. Make sure you have the correct booth humidity and proper cabling and grounding.

Molex connectors are very reliable and a great connector IF used properly and have the ***correct contact material***.

Unfortunately, there were too many wanna-be engineers that had no clue as what material to specify for contacts. That lead to the failure of many connectors.

>>> Phil

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-19-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was amp cables causing it would be there in nonsync as well
The trouble with molex connectors is they often are not properly made with the right crimp

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2003 12:00 AM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious if the popping noise is consistant when the platter feedout platter switches on, I know have had that happen before
just a thought good luck

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-20-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Gordon, the proper crimping tool and method is very important in all crimp connections...molex or not!

>>> Phil

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 08:21 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious?

Like Marc said, does the auditorium have a platter with micro-switches? I ran into this same problem at an older theater with Potts platters.

Rick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: