Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Horizontal green stripes flashing at top and bottom of screen. What are they??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Horizontal green stripes flashing at top and bottom of screen. What are they???
Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 04:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First run of Peter Pan and I notice these streaks accross the top and bottom of the screen. They flash from time to time and seem to be near the frame lines. I'm running filmguard and I've checked all film paths. I don't know if it's the print or a lamp issue.

It's totally freaking me out. I've never seen this before.

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin-
Good chance what you are seeing are the negative splices on the
'scope prints. Not too much you can do except bring the top &
bottom masking in and get new plates for scope.

Good luck

fjn

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just returned from watching Peter Pan and noticed the same thing. Annoying. Lotsa lab splices, too, but I didn't notice the CAP coding.

What was noticible, and very annoying, was the following: At the end of the last reel there were many occurences of something I've not seen before. First, the color goes very greenish, then there's a 'brrrt' sound and then the sound drops out completely. The green was all over the screen, very evenly, like a filter, not at all blotchy, like a chemical had splashed on the print. The sound and picture come back and a few seconds later it happens again, and I could swear the image motion actually 'froze' for a few frames during a couple of these instances. Is that possible??

Very, very strange! And, it happened about 7-8 times during the last five minutes or so of the show. The majority of this show was absolutely -gorgeous-, image and sound-wise!! The auditorium I was in has, I belive, Dolby Digital, not DTS.

Anyone else see it or know what could have caused it??

Ron Yost

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-25-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if that is a scope print, but if it is, I agree with the others.

Also, the aperature plate might be run out just a little bit excessive. If so, time to cut a new aperature plate.

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 03:14 AM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they near the frame lines but in the picture area? If so, based on your description, they sound like emulsion scratches caused by the platter deck during make up and/or break down. Those type of scratches would appear to be green, horizontal and flashing.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-26-2003 08:14 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "flashes" at the top or bottom are most likely negative splices. Ideally, the negative cutter for scope films should use a splicer with a narrower overlap, designed specifically so the splices are less likely to intrude into the scope image area.

An overall coloration to a section of the film may have been "safelight fogging", if that section of the unprocessed print had accidently been exposed to the orange-colored safelight too long.

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wierd thing is that they are not lines like a scratch. They are thinner at the left and get wider and splotchy at the right. Maybe sometimes reversed. Of course sometimes at the top and sometimes at the bottom. I can't figure out what would cause that intermittantly on the makeup table. I didn't build it up so I can't say nothing odd happened. It very well could be.

Since other people have noticed it too however, John P's, Paul's, Floyd's opinions seem the most logical to me at this point.

I'll be watching to see if running it through the filmgaurd affects it any.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-26-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are poorly made negative splices, they will always occur at scene changes. If they occur mid-scene, they are something else. Do you see any scratches on the print surface by looking at the film itself under a bright specular light?

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 12:54 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to look John. I was running up and down stairs doing management things combined with projectionist duties. I just looked in and saw it. I wasn't very happy to be sure.

Scene changes... not sure. I'll have to check that too. It seems like it was often when the camera would cut from one person to another and things like that. It seemed to disrupt the whole image even though the only visible part was the greenish lines.

Mark Huff
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Mark Huff   Email Mark Huff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen the same green lines on those prints.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theatre here in SF had those flashes at the bottom of the scope screen on EVERY movie they showed. The flash happened at every scene change. It was very annoying. Haven't seen the flashes in a while though, so I guess they fixed the problem. I almost demanded a refund a few times. Moulin Rouge and Down With Love were ruined!

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 02:55 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was very annoying. Haven't seen the flashes in a while though, so I guess they fixed the problem.
It should be pointed out,though, that negative splices will only appear if the scope print originated from a scope production. Scope prints from SUPER 35 origination won't show negative splices.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-26-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incorrect there will be negative splices in the printing negs
Often the material is scanned and anamoprhisised as distinct shots and then the printing negatives are assembled from that and as such neg splices will still flash if the apperture is oversized

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 09:36 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems like it was often when the camera would cut from one person to another and things like that.
That's what the above posts meant by scene change, it's where two seperate pieces of film were put together on the original print.

Before you go adjusting the masking and filing aperture plates:

TRY TO FRAME IT, it may jsut be framed a little low and you can bring it up a hair and you wont see it.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-26-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Negative (or IP) splices on Super 35 originated material will be few and far between. If you are seeing them at each scene/shot change then it's true anamorphic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: