Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Replacement DeVry XD incandecent lamp reflector

Author Topic: Replacement DeVry XD incandecent lamp reflector
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2003 02:19 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, I noticed that the image from my XD which I've happily run in my living room for about 8 years was rather dim. Upon disassembling the lamphouse indending to check alignment of the 1000 watt bulb, I noticed that my reflector, well, doesn't even seem to be a reflector. The round circular (supposed) mirror seemes to be made of a piece of dished stainless steel. How I never noticed this before is beyond me, but this piece of metal has discolored from heat so badly that it doesn't even reflect any light at all anymore. My question is, was the DeVry originally equipped with a piece of glass as a reflector? or do I have the correct piece which is (obviously) at the end of it's useful life? Either way, I need a new reflector. I hear that Wolk doesn't sell DeVry parts anymore. Anyone on the forums have a spare reflector for sale?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-27-2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean,

You might also consider plating the reflector...call UltraFlat.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2003 04:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might consider visiting some resale shops and looking at some older slide projectors for a reflector. That would be far cheaper and you might even find a better quality one at that. If not then try Mothers Polish, and if that does not work then Ultraflat is about it....but expensive.
Mark

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 07:42 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We Holmes 8 owners are in the same boat. The reflector on all of my machines are discolored and dull. Replacement cost is prohibitive.

I may just give up and convert them to halogen.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 11:29 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I have nothing really to lose, I'm going to experiment with some polishes and a high speed buffer. If that doesn't work, then maybe halogen will be my best bet. I'll post my findings here.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2003 02:18 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my friends use quarts halogen 36 volt 400 watt lamps or 500 watt xenons for running 35mm in theatrettes. The plan is to get hold of lamphouse parts from a professional 35mm slide projector and rectifier if one plans to go xenon. That is, if there is enough space in the lamphouse. The bonus is, you end up with the right colour temperature, but you pay for it.

I just stick to old fashioned Kalee Presidents with 6s and 7s.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2003 05:51 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a short throw home theater, it's darn hard to beat a quartz-halogen with it's built in reflector. (I know the color temperature is an issue, but so it is with the incandescent lamp in those old DeVrys and Holmes, too) There are many types of halogens out there available. Don't shy away from those that run at oddball voltages i.e. 24, 82 volts, etc. Just get a variac to run them. [thumbsup]

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the quartz halogen lamps with built in reflectors are designed to focus a spot on to a small aperture such as 16mm without the use of condenser lenses. You may end up with a hot spot if one is used for 35mm unless you re-arrange the optics.

Sean there was a lamp produced by Atlas in the 70s which was a mains voltage halogen type, with a built in reflector, very close to the filament. This was a direct replacement for a conventional incandescent type for 16mm projectors which used condenser lenses. The optics are similar to what I imagine you presently use, where the lamp reflector reflects a parallel beam to the first element of the condenser lenses. They then collect and focus down to the appropriate sized spot. I would imagine that this lamp would probably work for your situation except for the base.

The 240 volt version was an E3E UK A1/242 and used a 4 pin octal type socket. The lamp used 3 pins. The centre of the filament was one and a half inches above the base socket. I'm sure this lamp was produced for 110 volts and maybe for other sockets as well. They were popular as a means of upgrading pre quartz halogen projectors to give a brighter light with a higher colour temperature. They were more expensive than conventional incandescent lamps. There maybe still some around. Best to borrow one and try it if you can.

Juan Urias
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 10:52 AM      Profile for Juan Urias   Email Juan Urias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello,i don't know anything about devry xd's but i think we have a reflector that you are looking for.please e-mail me so i can send you a picture of the reflector that we have...juan

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juan, I send you a PM (private message) if you don't get it, my email is sweitzel@lffltd.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: