Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is NOT good enough... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is NOT good enough...
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 07:09 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am, of course, responding to the thread, 'What is good enough?' but felt compelled to start a fresh thread due to an alarming couple of posts I just came across on the usenet group, 'aus.dvd'.

Here is the post, verbatim:

-----------------------------------------------------------

'Went last night to the Return Of The King at Noosa Cinema. Putting aside the masses of people sms-ing, chewing, munching, snoring and talking through the film.The bloody sound was all over the place. Centre channel was so low that at soft dialogue scenes I could hardly hear and the right channel was soooo loud I thought I was being attacked by sea gulls and crickets! And the
focus shesh! the projectionist must be blind! This is not my first bad experience- last time I had to go to the box office to ask them to focus the film and balance the sound and this was after the film had started......Well my spleen feels better now....God I am glad I have a home cinema!!!!!!'

---------------------------------------------------------

A couple of posts down the thread, the following response came:

---------------------------------------------------------

'Yeah if dvd's were released around the time of the theatrical release theaters would suffer a huge loss in business, as it is they have a sort of monopoly, I know I would rather watch a movie on dvd at home because of all the reasons you mentioned, my local theater has no competition and the picture and sound quality are terrible, if people had the option of watching
the dvd at home at the same time they would have to clean their act up, as it is they have no reason to offer good quality. The films always seem to be out of focus and the sound in the main theatre cannot be turned up as the speakers go all distorted, I watch matrix revolutions towards the end of its run and there was only about 10 people in the theatre, yet the sound of just 1 chippie bag was enough to drown out the dialogue, the sound is only stereo too. The picture quality at this theatre seems to deteriorate quickly, sometimes I wonder if they have purchased a 2ndhand copy, there are scratches galore.
I think the projectionist wears glasses, maybe this has something to do with the bad focus or maybe it is to blur the scratches on the film, whatever it's bloody terrible.'

------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that these were completely unsolicited comments from a couple of people who, due to one too many poor theatre presentations, now view movie theatres as a burden, an obstacle, something to be endured until they can get their hands on the DVD release of a movie they want to see.

It's more than a little sad when a movie theatre - which should be seen as the ultimate place to experience a movie - becomes reviled by the paying public.

Not to put too fine a point on it - if you are running a theatre, and you think the public won't notice substandard presentation, you are ultimately mistaken and in the end it will cost you and the industry as a whole very dearly.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 08:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly why the Romance has to be put back into movie theatres. People are going to need a reason to come. They need a connection to the whole event including in focus pictures, balanced sound, real SR, quality speakers, steady projectors... etc. etc. etc.

What those people certainly isn't good enough.

Maybe it's the dreaded utopian view of things, but good enough to me will ALWAYS be, a constant effort to be good enough with the goal set to always be better than what we think good enough is. If you buy a theatre you have to start with what you have. People on this board who have done that have mentioned that they have been doing just what they should. They take steps to be better all the time.

It's the standing still that to me just isn't good enough.

Previous sentance, while redundant, was added to specifically state what I feel isn't good enough lest I should be accused of avoiding the initial question again.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 09:50 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the reasons I haven't yet seen Return of the King is everyone I've talked to has mentioned audio dropouts (digital to analog or total loss of audio) every few seconds near the end, plus I just no longer have the desire to watch a movie of this type in a crowded room full of seat kickers and noise makers. Comedies are better with a crowd, but serious movies are not. I'll end up watching Return of the King on a weeknight somewhere after the crowds die down.

I'm going to the theatre about half as frequently as I did in 1998. Movies need to get better (better writing instead of putting all the money into special effects and paying big-name actors). I'm sick of seeing the same actors/actresses over and over in movies too.

If I had my choice of watching ROTK on DVD rather than seeing it in the theatre, I believe that I, and most of my friends, would prefer to watch the movie on my big screen TV. The sound is often better, there are no "projection problems", and the movie is so long that if people need a bathroom break, we can pause it and nobody misses anything.

I don't think "romance" will ever return to the movie theatre. The smallest theatres in my area have 8 screens, and it gives the atmosphere of "mass production" rather than "romance", especially at the busiest theatres with 10, 12, and 18 screens. In the multiplexes, there are usually just two, or at most three, different styles of auditoriums. Once you get in an auditorium, you can forget which one you're in because so many of them look the same. If I built a multiplex, I'd want the auditoriums to be decorated differently, to give each one a "personality" (even the smaller auditoriums). I'd wantsome decorations that people would notice and remember (although not be distracting while the movie is playing).

Commercials should not be shown in theatres. That's a big problem happening now, since Regal started playing 10 or more commercials before previews, and Carmike is now doing it too. That destroys part of the atmosphere and makes the theatre one step closer to a TV experience.

I doubt we can ever go back to "romance" in theatres. The trouble with theatres now is the "customers" of the theatres are not the people coming to see the movies. It's the studios and the advertisers. If more than half the income for a theatre is not coming from ticket sales, then the theatre is not really in business to show movies. It's true that people coming in are rquired for income, but as long as enough are, their wants and needs are secondary.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 10:04 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just no longer have the desire to watch a movie of this type in a crowded room full of seat kickers and noise makers.
Totally agree!

I can stand a sub par presentation but I cant stand people kicking my seat, laughing, talking, and whatever else they may do.

After screening alone on Thursday nights, you kinda get spoiled.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 01:32 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I prefer to see a movie with a crowd of people, even dramas. But I agree that movie theaters are committing suicide by not presenting "film done right." But this is typical of most large businesses in the U.S. today who only look at the next quarter's stock price and not the long term. Hasn't anyone learned anything from the mistakes the record industry has made?

But I guess the move owners figure that if the theater business becomes not viable, they can shell the building and put another big-box retailer in there.

And while I'd love for movie palaces to make a return, I can live with the multiplex as long as the picture and sound quality is good. While home theater can also provide a great experience, I have NEVER seen a home theater in a reasonable price range that provided an experience as good as a semi-decent theater. Black levels alone make home viewing on video inferior. And unless you have an extremely large house or live in a loft, most rooms are not set properly for home theater. For example, TVs are frequently placed on the long wall with the couch opposite and against the wall, so that the surrounds are closer to one's head than the screen speakers.

In NYC, I think many of our multiplexes, such as the Loews Lincoln Square, are a bit more upscale than your typical mall multiplex and the presentation quality is usually pretty good. And we still have a few single theaters, such as the Ziegfeld (1150 seats) and the Loews Astor Plaza (about 1500 seats), which also generally have excellent presentation.

As far as movie audiences are concerned, this is a reflection of the sad state of society where people think they can do absolutely anything they want because they've paid a few bucks to see a movie.

I went to see Bad Santa a few nights back and was shocked at the number of very young kids in the audience for this R-rated flick. I know it's legal for the kids to be there with their parents, but are their parents insane? One kid kept saying through the most vulgar parts of the film, "I think we should change the channel, Daddy."

Then a phone started squawking - it was one of those phones that are always on to a specified number. After about ten seconds of it, I finally screamed out, "shut the phone off, idiot!" The guy screamed out, "it's just a kid - give him a break." Aside from the issue of why a 10 year old needed such a phone, especially when accompanied by his parents, why didn't the parent have the kid shut the phone off before the film? When the movie was over, the guy was scanning the audience, I think in an attempt to locate who might have screamed at him. I just quietly walked out -- I wasn't looking to get into a physical fight with anyone.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of the posts. Maybe I'm spoiled, working an old single screen house right out of the 1920s. We go overboard sometimes making the show a good one, as much as we can at least.

Our first multi around here was a "pillbox twin" from 1972. If it didn't have to be built to code, like using concrete block walls, they would have built it from cardboard. Everything was low-end. Including the presentations. There was no screen masking and since the four machines were in the middle of the booth, straddling the center wall, the pictures were keystoned sideways. The sound system was fair but the auditorium walls had some kind of cheap fabric huge on the concrete block walls, so you can imagine how great the audio was. Blech.

Apparently the theatre owners (or designers) felt that patrons would be content to sit in pillboxes. When the bigger multis were built they were just as cheap, in my opinion at least.

There's a big mall multi near me that must have been designed by someone who never went to see a movie. The lobby (if you can call it that) is a big bright noisy atrium sort of thing that has all the charm of an airport terminal.

Like an above post pointed out, a little decorating works wonders. Make the auditoriums different. Even if your patrons refer to #4 as The Green Room (or whatever), you are ahead of the others.

My mother's comments about this place are: TOO DAMN LOUD! You can hear the movies in the adjoining auditoriums. The trailers are even MORE too loud than the feature. You can't see the exit signs from the stadium seats. Too many commercials. Too many trailers. Focus. Framing. Bad employee attitude. She has never had a good experience there and refuses to return. Not a good way to make friends, read customers.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 03:10 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans - no offense, but the two companies you mentioned are the main reasons why people want to stay at home and watch DVDs (here in the USA, anyways) Carmike and Regal. When I state this -I do not want to include every theatre these companies run. However I would say that my statement would include ALMOST every location.

Micro-managing mega and multi-plexes is where the 'romance' is lost. Getting bodies in the door to pay for tickets and concessions - that is their main goal.

I personally run a 14 screen. You can ask any of my thousands of weekly customers why they come to my theatre. It is because I have a dedicated staff who cares about the 'romance' of the cinema.

Sorry for the dig into the 'other guys' - but I am sure 9 out of 10 people would agree with me.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 04:15 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right on! Gary and Dennis.

What this business needs is more "showmanship" to make the "theatre experience" something different than just putting a bigger picture on an bigger screen.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just no longer have the desire to watch a movie of this type in a crowded room full of seat kickers and noise makers. Comedies are better with a crowd, but serious movies are not. I'll end up watching Return of the King on a weeknight somewhere after the crowds die down.
I am going to see it in the first show on January 1st, guess why...
Although I really enjoy seeing films with an audience (especially good comedies!), watching blockbusters like LotR is quite painful sometimes because deep inhale PEOPLE CANNOT KEEP THEIR F***ING MOUTH SHUT !

No objections against a remark or two, but some people are so brainwashed by TV and DVD watching that they think everybody enjoys their constant commentary on the film. Sure, you can ask them to stop it when they are near you, but have more than five or six in the auditorium and it gets hopeless. Most of all I enjoy parents who think that their kids have a right to constantly chatter or run around the theatre, maybe they take it as a sign of intelligence.

I LOVE seeing films with an audience, especially movies that were made with an audience's reaction in mind, but sometimes it gets hard to enjoy a film with people who (in an open air showing) TURN AROUND during the stargate sequence in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY and start discussing their mobile phone's features... [Mad]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're all doomed. Time to throw in the towel!! [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-30-2003 06:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Home "Theatre" won't kill the movie business. Everyone knows that home cooking is WAY better than restaurant cooking, yet people flock to restaurants.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-30-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for showmanship but I don't believe that customers are looking for romance. If that is the case then what we're dealing with is prostitution -- and the biz has got that in spades at the moment. [Wink]

The people who wrote those complaints don't want romance. I think they would have accepted the most basic level of showmanship, which they did not get.

I take issue with the notion of crying out for more "romance" across the board because it connotes too many other things that I think are fine and good -- and would perhaps work for certain theatres -- but those things that come to mind are not necessarily "what this business needs."

At best it's vague.

As for the question, that too is vague. There are myriad negative contributing factors that could render an experience "not good enough."

Another forum recently entertained a discussion about house light levels and how theatres in some areas are keeping house lights on because of liability issues with stadium seating. Turns out that chains that own stadium AND raked floor houses are keeping lights on consistently throughout the chain, with no regard for the type of flooring in a given room. That's stupid. That's not good enough.

Theatres that permit noise and conversation are not good enough. Stadium seating is again a recurring factor, because the steps make it more difficult for ushers to patrol. It's impossible to be inconspicuous when doing an "aisle check." When I was with AMC we did them every 20-30 minutes and there was even a log for that. I've never seen an aisle check in a stadium house at any theatre. Let's face it, some customers need to be supervised.

I agree that commercials decrease one's level of enjoyment and personally I would rather not see them but I understand that there is a lot of money at stake and theatres are starving for cash. Some could say that commercials are "not good enough" while others, like myself, can live with them. It's not an absolute.

Sticky floors, smelly auditoria and inadequate (or loud) airconditioning are not good enough.

If you ask some people, they'd say that 2nd run is not good enough.

The topic is wide open.

For those of you who are pushing for bringing back the romance, what exactly do you mean by that? More to the point, what are you doing (that the rest of us aren't) toward that end?

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 12-30-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 08-28-2004, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Jennifer Pan ]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do we keep 'the romance' at my theatre? Well, my definition of 'romance' is the love of going to the movies and not walking in the door at Blockbuster every week (or the competition theatre).

At the Neonopolis 14 we do the following:

We ensure the best presentation in Las Vegas (and we have the best).

We greet every customer with a smile and treat them like gold.

As general manager, I conduct daily inspections of all auditoriums and the facilities, and I teach the members of my staff the importance of patroling auditoriums - constantly.

We have the best prices, the most comfortable seats, and the best sound in Las Vegas (and I challenge anyone on this in town).

When our customers walk out the door, we tell them to have a nice evening.

Our restrooms are clean.

We have regular promotions of films. For example: for months at a time, almost weekly, a customer can walk through my door and see a lobby promotion for a movie. They also can receive a free poster or something (we are always giving something away).
We recently gave away a sword signed by Elijah Wood (for ROTK).

We give people a reason to come through our doors everyday.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 01:11 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez Dennis, your place sounds nice. Can I come and play? [Big Grin]

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: