Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best moving print method? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best moving print method?
Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 09:00 AM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the suggestions for the best way to move prints around. Especially larger prints.Any suggestions besides the clamps would be helpful.

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott, When I was working for UA in Corpus we had a large sheet of 3/4 Plywood that had a U shaped opening cut out with beveled edges on the legs of the U. it also had a set of holes drilled around it to facilitate a way to fasten the print to the board. If your intrested in what it looks like I brought the one from Cine 6 up to the Howard in Taylor. I can let you see what it looks like.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-31-2003 09:39 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best method I've seen is a "doughnut" shaped board or large reel flange that is put on the platter you are taking up onto, then winding the print onto it. Two people can then lift the board/flange and print, and move it to another platter.

Here's a link to the Goldberg Platter Reel: [thumbsup]

http://www.film-tech.com/reviews/review15.html

http://www.rsem.com/equipment-details.asp?partnum=5810001

Methods that require slipping clamps or a u-shaped "cookie sheet" under the already wound print do risk some edge damage.

Moving a print without support risks a pile of film spaghetti on the floor. [Eek!]

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 10:05 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the many things I love about Kinoton platters is that the take-up is so good that you can safely move a print simply by picking it up as is.

Their make-up table is particularly impressive; whether you are winding a print onto the platter or from the platter back onto reels, both the supply and take-up are simultaneously controlled. You can wind a print onto the platter, then simply pick it up and take it somewhere else! Perfect. [Smile]

All other platter systems I've used require some kind of support to move a print, such as an envelope.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-31-2003 10:19 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Barry wrote:

quote:
One of the many things I love about Kinoton platters is that the take-up is so good that you can safely move a print simply by picking it up as is.

That may be well and good, but you still risk "spilling" the print. The frictional characteristics may be such that even a tightly wound roll could slip apart. (e.g., if the print had been over lubricated).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2003 11:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We move prints on AW3 platters all the time without clamps. This assumes the platter is of recent (last 20 years) vintage or has the takeup arm spring modification done to it. Also the new locking center rings greatly help. The real trick though is in how it is handled. Do it wrong and you may experience the spaghetti John mentioned above.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 11:54 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This being New Years eve, place several bottle rockets under the print, aim them in the right direction, and light them all at the same time. By the way, don't use the ones that explode at the end of their flight. Good luck, and Happy New Year.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-31-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I can move a print by myself I believe that the "best method" is to use 2 people and the 'pizza board.'

In the case of a loose rewind (and no pizza board) I have been known to lift the whole platter disc and carry the print on that.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the donut board used, made from 1/8" Masonite, smooth shiny side up. One guy took an old shopping cart and built adjustable legs on a platform attached to it so he can easily slide the print-and-donut from any level platter onto the cart and off he goes. The adjustable-height cart comes in really handy when you get a surprise move and the print is on the "wrong" platter level.

In another move subject, I once had to pick up a print from a nearby 10-plex and I took my 6000' reels over and rewound his show onto my reels and "bicycled" them home. Nice and handy too, all I had to do was add my trailers when I got back to my theatre! (Thanks Mark, it worked great!)

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks William.......We had a similar board at one of the Presidio theaters back in the 80's.I had forgotten about it.

Happy New Year!!!!

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Michael as I also have Kinoton platters and also impressed with the way they handle film and very happy with the Kinoton make up tables,But I agree with John even though the film is wound tight the risk of it collapsing is there,It pays to use a doughnut to move prints if no trolley is available.In our case we are lucky that we have adjustable trolley to move our prints around which makes the task so much easier especially the heavy prints like L.O.T.R. I understand that due to the lay out of some bio's it isnt practicle to use a trolley if you have separate Bio boxs in different parts of the complex.

One person carrying prints around could also be a O.H&S issue which impacts the way we do things now.

Steve [thumbsup]

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have mentioned previously that one must exercise caution when moving any print. Some film stock simply won't take up well, no matter what system is used, and these prints must be moved in a sleeve (or other safe method). The same applies to prints that have just had their first application of FilmGuard - these prints may not necessarily be safe to pick up either.

Any movie which is 2 1/2 hours (or longer) starts to get too heavy to move on one's own anyway, so I agree that those prints are best moved using more kosher methods. [Big Grin]

So, yes...one must evaluate each print carefully before proceeding. Stephen, I'm glad you appreciate those make-up tables. A sensational design!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2003 09:52 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way would probably be to use the Goldberg Platter reel or jsut move the entire platter deck, but those methods are not always practical.

I just use a board and slide the print off the platter onto it. What I wuld like is a cart that has telescopic legs so that it can be raised or lowered to each deck.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-31-2003 10:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often moving the platter deck will cause a major platter timing issue
The best method still is
clamps
piece of masonite for it to lie on
platter reel

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2003 10:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Often moving the platter deck will cause a major platter timing issue
Only on crappy platters that have no business even calling themselves platters. Any half-assed decent model won't be affected.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: