Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Digital Gear to warm up ?

Author Topic: Dolby Digital Gear to warm up ?
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE !

This is it:
CP65 - DA20 - SA10 running "Nemo" with "Mr Incredible" and "Bear" trailers and "Pixar Snowman" short.
First show every day, srd keeps dropping out during trailers and snowman, -fail code reading 5. > 6 > 6. and E. -When running srd between dropouts, sound is heavily distorted and filled with "plops".
Later shows - still high failrate, but no drop-outs, as if gear had to "warm up" in good time before running.
What's going on ?

Per

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-06-2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of reader?

Welcome to the hell that is SRD in several of my locations. [Frown]

-Aaron

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty hill-billy, but it's worth a shot.
Leave your processor on overnight and see if it does it in the morning. If it does it's most likely your reader.
I'd assume perhaps a humidity problem? Although I doubt it. With such a high fail rate I'd think perhaps your reader is dirty or slightly out of allignment.
But that's just my two cents...And it's early for me [Smile]
Good luck.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-06-2004 01:07 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like there may be some alignment drift as the equipment warms up, so that if alignment is marginal when warm, it is out of spec when cold.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2004 03:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these new prints, or sloppy leftovers from the US?

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 05:23 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reader is 701 on this projector - The other proj. has a 700, running much more stable.
Dust removed daily with air.

I doubt You would like to have ran this print - its a danish dubbed version ! - Ergo brand new.

Shitty srd. -But Disney never makes dts for Denmark.

p

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2004 05:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The cat701 is the worst tracking of all the Dolby readers. That's not to say that is a bad unit though, as my average tracking is between 1-3 on the error scale with them. What do most of your prints track at? If they are high and you are continually seeing this on new prints, then you should have the reader checked out.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-06-2004 05:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the drum bearings on the reader. If they are cold and stiff in the morning they may be putting drag on the system and then warm up as the drum rotates.

Steve

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-06-2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave the DA20 and the 701 off for your first run. Turn them on for the second run. If it works fine on the second run you've verified it's a mechanical problem. Like Steve said, check the bearings.

Do you turn the heat in the booth off at night? I've come across theatres with similar problems because they shut their heat off at night and let everything freeze.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never letting my old babes freeze at night. -I once ran a place, where the booth was so cold even with those small electric heaters on all night, the Bauer U2's thermoswitch made it impossible to run at all. Push start button, and the machine woudl run half a sec, maybe one - then stop. You could do so - or turn by hand for maybe five minutes, and be lucky to get going. It sure took time to make the landlord do some isolation. It's tough to be a U2 !

Will try the stunt running through turned off digital reader - good thinking, guys - thanks.

p.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: