Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Intermittent Coupler On PK60D?

Author Topic: Intermittent Coupler On PK60D?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2004 10:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that a plastic framing coupler as is used in the Ballantyne Pro 35 is used in these machines as well. Has anyone had any major ptoblems or repeat failures of these. Also, how do they hold up in a film pile up? Ballantynes do not like estar film pile ups.....

Also are the star wheels and cams still ground with a conical radius as in the older Phillips equipment, or are they done with a standard curved radius?
Mark @ CLACO

|  IP: Logged

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Kinoton has used the same coupler concept since the introduction of the FP-20. It is similar to Ballantyne's because the whole gear layout was copied from the DP-75. IMHO the quality of coupler construction is much higher, but others can give their unbiased experiences.
I will mention that about 2.5 years ago we had a bad batch of couplers due to a problem in chemical bonding during manufacturing. Since then the process has been changed to ultrasonic welding which eliminates the possibility of that problem entirely. All the bad bushings have been changed out.
I'm sure you will find that our coupler is a reliable unit.

The conical stars and cams were only used on machines up to the FP-7 and DP-70. Beautiful, but way expensive.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2004 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Larry for the clarification!!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: