Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » xetron xcn-35 console ignition (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: xetron xcn-35 console ignition
James S. Mellen
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 02:26 PM      Profile for James S. Mellen   Email James S. Mellen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first post, so forgive me if I am in the wrong forum. I have volunteered to help our local community owned theater (Panida.org) with a problem on one of the projectors. There is 90 VDC to the bulb (contactor pulls in), but no bulb ignition. I am told it is a good bulb and they did try another one. I am not sure if the problem lies in the igniter or the bulb. Does something external trigger the igniter to fire or is that done with an internal timer? Is anyone out there in film-tech land familiar with this system? It is a Xetron XCN-35 console with a S.Antonino HV igniter model AS-9550.

Thanks!
Jim

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be a manual ignition pushbutton. Does it work?
If it works then the autostrike is at fault and it is ofetn a zener diode in serries with a relay and often a sensitivity pot to set the ignition threshold

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, If there is still an adjustment pot in ther it is better to replace it with the correct Zener Diode than to leave the pot. Since your main AC voltage can fluctuate causing the no load voltage to go higher or lower a Zener is really the best thing to have in there. Many of the older Xetorn consoles and lamphouses still have the adjustment pots in them.
Mark @ CLACO

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a circuit breaker in the autostrike circuit on those units - if the igniter works manually, check to make sure the breaker is not open or damaged. 9 times out of ten, failure of the autostrike on these is either the sensitivity is too low or the breaker is open or damaged. The relay specified in these circuits will close at 75% of the rated DC voltage of the coil. The sensitivity control is really useful to limit the duration of the ignition pulse.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 03:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I have never understood is why xetron always reengineers other peoples products (look at the mods done to cineemcanicas, ernemanns, centurys, and prevost when the xetron name is stuck on them) when IREM has a very good autostrike circuit that fits inside the black case of the ignitor and it has proven to be very stable and reliable over time

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 04:00 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno, Gordon. It does seem like they enjoy making things more complicated than they have to be.

James S. Mellen
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 08:43 AM      Profile for James S. Mellen   Email James S. Mellen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither the autostrike nor the manual will ignite the bulb. Should the manual or autostrike send a signal to the igniter?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The schematic is on line here trace where the power is disapearring

James S. Mellen
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 09:30 PM      Profile for James S. Mellen   Email James S. Mellen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Gordon. I downloaded the schematic and understand the circuit now. It has to either be the igniter or the bulb. I will try the igniter in the other projector.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-15-2004 03:43 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Testing the igniter in a different projector (or the igniter from another projector) is never wrong, but before you do so, you might want to check if the igniter can be heard - in the Xetron console they make this weak coughing sound - and if you can see the sparks going through the bulb when you ignite manually and look through the viewing port on the front.
If all this doesn`t bring light into he matter (pun intended!), you might want to check the RA board in the power supply right behind the DC terminals. You can bypass it by connecting the outer and inner pair of wires going to it. Best if you read the manuals provided here for details.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 08:11 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spark Gap possibly?

Rick

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 12:24 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try checking the capacitor that goes from the anode (+) of the lamp to the cabinet.

James S. Mellen
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 12:21 PM      Profile for James S. Mellen   Email James S. Mellen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, I put the igniter from unit #2 into unit #1 and vise versa. Now they both work!! Unit #2 was intermittent before not igniting at all. I can't imagine a bulb being intermittent, so I am suspecting the igniter. Any ideas on where I can get another igniter?
Thanks

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-17-2004 03:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if they both work now it leads one to believe it was a connection issue
They are available from any theatre supply dealer

James S. Mellen
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 10:12 AM      Profile for James S. Mellen   Email James S. Mellen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had previously removed and replaced the original igniter with no success. All of the connections have already been re-worked. The ignition was intermittent in the time leading up to this. When testing the ignition, is it excessively harmful to the bulb to cycle the lamp power on and off? What is the least destructive timing (for example, 1 minute on, two minutes off)?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: