Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong/Potts platter microswitch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Strong/Potts platter microswitch
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 09:43 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some of you 'in the know' moreso than myself, I pose this quesion..

I called one of my suppliers this morning to find out if the 12 microswitches I rec'd this morning had the .1 or .5 oz spring in them. He stated that there shoudl not be a spirng in them at all, but he would call the manufacturer and check the specs.

This is the info printed on the switch in front of me...

A-20GV-B7-K (Made in Japan)
20A 120/250/480V
1HP.125VAC
2HP 250VAC
1/2A 125VDC
1/4A 250VDC

I hope that I'm not mistaken in the fact that this is suppposed to have a spring loaded return mechanism....

Anyone?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have the .5 switch. Be sure to pop the spring out from under the lever and discard the spring.

For everyone's info here is the switch cross reference from Grainger's:

Omron # A20GV-B7-K is Grainger # 6X289 (around $6.50)

Omron # Z15GW-B7-K is Grainger # 6X284 (around $6.25)

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 10:59 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Thanks for the info. From now on, I'll get these locally at Graingers. I'm paying $12.50/each right now from my vendor.

BTW,
Shoudl the spring be visible? I don't recall seeing a spring situated under the paddle/trigger mechanism...

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As they come new out of the box there is a spring under the lever. Maybe your vendor already removed the spring?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This could be the reason they stated that there was not supposed to be a spring in the first place.

His comment makes more sense now...

Thanks Ken!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 12:49 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be sounding stupid here but which micro switches are you replacing? I have strong platters and in 2 years have not had one go out. The platters are about 6 years old.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 01:22 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The microswitch on the center-feed.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-15-2004 03:52 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris - some of these control plates have an optical control unit which they call "phase control". You can see the LED, photocell and phase mask when you look inside the little black box. Maybe you have these.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 10:07 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I have the brains with the leds/solar cell

Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you upgrade from micro-switches to leds and solarcells on potts platters?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-18-2004 06:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I did.....I used a Phase control with the CFS (same as the older Potts) and it works great. However, you have to be very careful about platter timing if the other dishes are still on Micros.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 10:38 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the cost of the phase control boxes it seems it would make sense for those replacing micros every 18 months to upgrade. Not only are phase controls more reliable they also give a smoother payout.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2004 10:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the micro switch to this day
less grief and fewer thrown prints

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert:

Yes, there is an upgrade kit to change the micro switch control plate to a phase control. It's part number 2430 (sells for around $120 list price) and it does one control plate. I would advise you to change all control plates on a platter over to phase control. Don't mix 'n match microswitch and phase control plates on the same platter system or you'll have motor timing problems. The kits can be purchased thru any Strong/Potts dealer.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2004 11:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also some of the motors have the diode in reverse polarity for use with the pahse control and then they will not work

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: