Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Guard usage qustion?

Author Topic: Film Guard usage qustion?
Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about film guard. My Managers are discussing wether or not to run the movies run without of the film gurad spray and just run it dry without the spray. Is it safe to have a dry run? If so, are you suppose to you have a dry run and if so how often should one have a dry run and a greasy run?

(the last projectionist throw away the manual)

Thanks for helping.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-07-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturate the pads no more frequently than 1 week intervals and run the rest of the passes with those same "used to be soaking wet" pads.

(Yes there are a few exceptions where someone may want to run the pads freshly soaked more often than once a week, but that's a rule that works for 99.99% of the time.)

I emailed you a copy of the instructions or you can download it here. The first two paragraphs on page 4 don't matter much anymore if you are using the new coupling cores that are being sent out (they are embossed with "Film-Tech"), as we recently had them resized to exactly fit the cleaners and aleviate the occasional winding problems some people experienced.

Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How often should a film be run with the film guard. And when should fresh pads be installed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-07-2004 08:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Read those instructions first, then if they don't answer your questions, let me know.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-07-2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, the new "Film-Tech" cores ROCK!
They're thicker and allow me to secure them more tightly to the cleaner.

Matthew, there isn't really a required interval that you should be gaurding prints at. The recomended use is to always run it, but that's not always possible. You might want to try this approch. At my theatre we have 3 media cleaners to use in 15 auditoriums. Basicly, we guard a print on friday, when we get it, then it goes on a rotation log. Each day, we look at the log and gaurd the print that has had the most time since it was last guarded. Sometimes we guard a print that just "really needs it". Just make sure that you run it over the same pads, rewinding and reusing them, at least 4 times. Do not refill or replace the pads between shows.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-07-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually guard all of my prints, all of the time. Piracy is a serious issue.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-10-2004 08:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running a media cleaner DRY always has the risk of scratching a print if a few larger abrasive dirt particles are trapped in the media. I've seen a print trashed with scratches when someone tried to clean a print that had accumulated some cement dust from nearby demolition of a cinderblock wall. When I looked at the used media, it looked like a sheet of sandpaper! [Roll Eyes]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-11-2004 11:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What effects does the film guard have on making new tape splices. Like when changing trailers and you want to splice a new one to the one that has film guard on it. Does the splices stick without any problems or do you have to wipe off the film guard from the end that you want to splice?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-12-2004 03:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wipe the two frames dry that you are going to lay the tape on to make the splice. You can do this with a napkin, cloth or even just your thumb. It will wipe off that easily.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: