Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mounting a DTS reader to an older Simplex XL

Author Topic: Mounting a DTS reader to an older Simplex XL
William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I recieved a DTS unit this past week and went to mount the reader bracket to the top of our 1950 era Simplex XL's. There listed as PR 1006's on the builders plate and came with a Fire Roller at the top of the projector. The top reel arm has a switch on the backside of it and is held to the top of the projector by 4 mid sized allen keyed screws. Is there a special adapter plate for this or do I need to Drill and Tap holes in the casting? DTS unit had a standard mounting bracket in it by the way.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-12-2004 09:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the part with the fire rollers should be removeable, and the reader should bolt right on.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you remove the fire trap and you end up with a smallish rectanguluar hole in the top plate then remove the top plate and cut that half of the plate off that has the small film opening in it. This will leave you with a thicker piece of plate that you will mount the DTS adaptor to. You will also have a much larger opening in the top of the projector for film to pass down through. That small film opening may be fine for the fire trap but its a bit to tight for passing film down through.

Mark @ CLACO

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2004 01:20 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may need to order Simplex # P-1839 Adapter Plate from Wolk.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-13-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen DTS readers mounted onto the feed roller hardware. It doesn't have to be fastened onto the projector itself.

Richard B. Perrine
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 03:23 AM      Profile for Richard B. Perrine   Email Richard B. Perrine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kens got it right.....the orginal XL's came with XL magazines.
They had the 4 screw mount...which was different from the earlier
Simplex 2 bolt magazine.
A couple of other screw will remove the whole plate and you can replace it with the PN# plate Ken suggested.
or you could have a 1/2" plate cut and threaded with the holes to bolt the DTS reader onto the machine.

RBPerrine@aol.com
IATSE #364

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2004 10:22 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The adapter plate as shipped from Wolk is painted in modern silver gray Hammerite. I repaint them in black wrinkle to match the old XL's that they'll be mounted on.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2004 10:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Ken but that old(or new) black wrinkle paint sucks big time [puke] . Many like the looks of it but it certainly is a big time dust collector and does nothing to seal up the porus leaky old X-L main castings [Eek!] !

A nice modern Powder Coat finish is far superior and very environmentally friendly [thumbsup] . It is also very inexpensive to have done [Smile] . BTW: Powder coating is also available in Black wrinkle for you Wrinkle die hards [Confused] if you don't mind the hassles involved in keeping it clean..... Oily rags and all...... [Roll Eyes]

Mark @ CLACO

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 07:39 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I had my tech order the Adapter plates which have arrived. Mine came from Strong and they do not look like they are the right piece. What I have is a rectangular piece of metal about 3/4 of an inch thick with 4 hole in it and none of them line up with the DTS bracket either. Am I supposed to tap and drill this for mounting the bracket or is the P1839 supposed to come already pre drilled for the original mounting holes as well at the DTS bracket. If some one can include a Photo of a P1839 plate it would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-18-2004 12:48 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a mag penthouse (and need to keep it as we do) then everything above goes out the window and we needed to Jerry-rig the whole thing with stove bolts and big flat washers stacked up to make everything hold together. And yes the fire trap and roller assemble has to go. What to do should we have to run nitrate....our approach to that question is, well, we just don't talk about it. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the Kelmar X-L top plate would have probably been the wiser choice for your installation. It conforms to the older Simplex mounting and has the two 3/8X16 holes in the correct location for mounting a magazine or standard reel arm. All older black wrinkle machines have the top plate secured by four allen head screws...I think 12-24. The later blue hammertone and all others have real arm mounting holes in the standard location. Even the Simnplex 35/70 top holes are in the standard locations.

Mounting a DTS bracket should be an easy thing, not a mass of confusion over which bracket and hole to use. You should not have to drill and tap anything...there are only two versions involved here.....

Still can't figure it out... please post a photo of the top of your machine.....

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-18-2004 08:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One the old simplex 35/70 penthouse with the curved top that the magazine sat into what was the mounting arrangement

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: