Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Flicker in Cinemecannica Zenith x4000

Author Topic: Flicker in Cinemecannica Zenith x4000
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 03-10-2004 09:20 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with a flicker in this lamphouse. Do you think it is the bulb or the lamphouse. Have not tried anything yet, and do not know the type of bulb that was put in there. The picture is also dark, so I am guessing its an old bulb. Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-10-2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many hours on the lamp and what type of rectifier, has the lamp been rotated?
Those lamphouses produce a good light and usually long bulb life

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 03-10-2004 11:32 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, not sure, I'm not at the theater right now. But I am not even sure that the hours were even logged anywhere when the bulb was first installed. I wasnt working there at the time.

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 01:49 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this same problem three times in the last 2 1/2 years. Once was the lamp. On the other two it was a diode going partially out. I had a heck of time the first time from never seeing it. The only way to find it was to check each diode with the rectifier on and with a scope to see which one was leaking AC. Definite qualified techs only job!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-10-2004 01:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't know how many hours are on the lamp, how does the envelope look? Has it blackened much, or a lot, or not at all?

How to the anode and cathode look? Are they pitted to hell?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-10-2004 02:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, a quick and safe way to check for excessive ripple is to let some of the light "leaking" from the lamphouse shine on a silicon photocell with a resistive load, and look at the voltage output on a scope. Ideal is a "steady state" (DC) output.

With experience, you can estimate the hours on a particular lamp by the blackening of the envelope, and the amount and type of pitting on the tips of the anode and cathode. (Use proper safety gear! [Eek!] )

http://www.film-tech.com/tips/XENONFAILURE.pdf

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 03:21 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think as Larry and John : a partialy "out of order" diode make current ripple and flickering !

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 03-11-2004 06:06 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys. I havent had a chance to check the lamphouse again, since I have been off, and will be the entire weekend, but our tech is going to the theater tomorrow, and the problem should be taken care of by someone more experienced than myself.
Thanks again.

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 02:43 AM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be any of the above, check the rectifier diodes and the windings.If one of the windings of your rectifier is on the way out your tech. should find minor AC leakage coming from the rectifier to the lamphouse.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2004 08:59 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi !

Past six month a projectionist told me that he got a lot of flicker on the screen. I checked the rectifier: It was out of order: One selenium diode was burn out. I exchanged the all rectifier for a Irem recctifier, and all we be fine.
Just check all diodes on Your Rectifier. Maybe one coud be shord-circuited, or burned out.

Good Luck !

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: