Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Westrex 7000

Author Topic: Westrex 7000
David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings All From Cambridge

Does anyone know of anywhere where I may obtain parts for a Westrex 7000? I have a couple that I would like to refurbish here in my labs at the moment.

Regards

David

|  IP: Logged

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 03:04 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have alot of 5000 parts in stock plus brand new penthouses still in the shipping carton.

Mark @ CLACO

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-10-2004 08:46 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why?

Why not? [Smile]

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 11:11 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl

Have you ever used a Westrex 5k ? Me thinks prob no. These machines, perhaps 25 years old, are all but gone here whereas their older brothers and other units over 40 years old are indaily use. Belts, dampers and a really odd lens arrangement - have never had much to do with them but I know that they are a good money spinner for service companies..

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-11-2004 11:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 7000 is the most patented 35mm projector ever

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2004 12:06 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you ever used a Westrex 5k
I ran a theater here that had Westrex model projectors in them. This was about 18 years ago. I can't remember the exact model of the machine. As far as the Why not....That is my general responmse to Why.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, we have Westrex 7000 parts.

Give the office a ring on 0161 477 7633, probably best to talk to Ged, he knows those machines well, they are his 'vintage' so to speak.

There are plenty of 7000's still in daily use, and many many more 2001's (Century clones). Never actually seen a Westrex 5000 in the flesh, although I have some of the tooling for them, trap alignment guages etc.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-11-2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are approximately 6 of the Westrex 5000's in daily use in the Mountain States. We rarely hear from any of them. Gord thinks its the best thing there is for what ever reason......
Mark @ CLACO

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 08:21 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They do tend to run and run with little maintenance. Change the belts, keep the cross-box topped up, that's about it.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2004 05:46 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are approximately 6 of the Westrex 5000's in daily use in the Mountain

Mark: Do any of these have the Motor Drive take-up (Bottom) Spool boxes arrangements or have they been converted to Belt drive?.
Interesting to learn if there are any 5000's in the US that could still screen 70mm?.

There are two I know in several private hands that are 70mm ready and a third is under way!.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2004 06:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still two pair of them installed in the Cinedome 70 in Ogden Utah. That theatre was last operated by Cineplex but has been closed since Cineplex left Utah(for the most part). The theatre was always held by private ownes but they have failed to get them re-opened at this point. Both pair of them have run alot of 70mmin past years. My boss was the U.S. service tech for Westrex which is why we have so many of them here. Sorry, don't know if they are belt of motor takeup. There is also a 35mm pair of them in Wendover, Utah but those are on platter feed.

Mark @ CLACO

Steven H. Krams
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Steven H. Krams   Email Steven H. Krams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in 1978 we purchased Westrex Cinema Division in London from Litton Industries. Thus we still have a few bits on both the 7000 and the 5000 in stock. Belts, Sprockets, gears and so on.
If we can be of help let us know. Good Luck!

Steven Krams
International Cinema Equipment
a division of Magna-Tech Electronic Co. Inc.
Miami Florida

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: