Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton America site (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kinoton America site
Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 07:28 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just finished a complete redesign, some of you might enjoy a look around.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.kinotonamerica.com/

I should get a free projector just for listing the site. [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-10-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry should get one too!

quote:

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-10-2004 09:22 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great site.

Small typo @ Cinema Equipment >> 35mm w/mechanical intermittent
Technical specs, voltage. Looks like a "1" was dropped.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 09:32 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about some "suggested retail prices" next to each model projector. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How about some "suggested retail prices" next to each model projector."

Dan you don't want their server to go up in flames do you..... I doubt it can handle that many digits?

No, just kidding here. There ARE affordable Kinoton machines priced right in line with a new Simplex costs... BL&S has done a great job of holding the prices in line unlike Arriflex when they had the line.

By the way... which would you buy?

Mark @ CLACO

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-10-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice redesign.

*Site is only happy with Internet Explorer. Opera doesn't work at all and Netscape only works on some of the links. Be sure and mention this to your webmaster since the code is not fully compliant amongst different browsers (translating into less viewers).

*Why not list all of the available versions of the projectors? I am specifically thinking of the "short" versions of the console units. [Smile]

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Thanks for the heads up.

Dan,
Already keeping up with all the models (and we don't show everything) and updates drives us crazy; adding pricing changes would make us into raving lunatics. Also showing "list prices" can confuse and scare away folks who don't understand the pricing conventions of this business. It is fair to say that our "normal" products (like regular 35mm heads or consoles) are price competitive with most other manufacturers (but we believe of superior quality). The more unusual and sophisticated, the more expensive of course. Then again, those toys are the most interesting!

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 02:55 AM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
I've forwarded your 1st question to the web code guy.
The 2nd point about the reduced height columns was on the "E" page, but not the "D" page. I'll add it. Thanks.

Space precludes listing every option individually, but I try to cover most options and variants. However there isn't much liklihood of someone "just stumbling across" a product like our 1570 continuous loop platter on the site and buying one.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-11-2004 03:02 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DCP 12 looks exactly like the Barco D-Cinema Premiere DP50. It actually is the same picture. Why do you do that? Can`t you and Barco agree on a common model designation?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-11-2004 04:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'll bite...send over some info on that 1570 loop platter! [Big Grin]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-11-2004 04:56 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiousity, why does the picture of the FP-38 E-S show the film feeding emulsion-in and taking up emulsion-out? That's the exact opposite of standard practice in the US. Did they do that just to show how flexible the machine is (with electronic takeup drive, etc.), or was there some other reason.

And if anyone wants to send me a pair of those machines (the 16/35) for, um, "long term evaluation" purposes, I wouldn't complain. [Big Grin]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Scott. If I were rich I'd go for the FP 38ES, with Dolby Digital and three lens turret. [thumbsup]

Danny

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 11:40 AM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
Although essentially the same, there are sometimes differences such as using Kinoton's own water cooler or control systems. The "picture head" is exactly the same.

Brad, I don't have a sheet for the ST 2000 EK 70 SP, but the one I saw looked just like the ST 2000 shown on http://www.kinotonamerica.com/cinemaEquipment/endlessLoopSystem.asp , only with 70mm parts, and turning really, really fast. I'll add that this part of the Kinoton factory, the platter assembly area, is always my favorite because on the wall they have a copy of that photo of me and Mike Rome standing on one of their platters. They always recognize me....I feel like a star!

Scott,
Note that the T/U reel is threaded differently in the 16mm and 35mm photos. The electronic system will go either way on either reel. Why? I don't know. I doubt it was any big plan, more likely just which way the tech working with the photographer felt like threading it.

Dan,
If you upgraded to a FP 38EQ, you could do still frame; handy for analyzing any "wardrobe malfunctions"!

Juan Urias
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Juan Urias   Email Juan Urias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very nice re-designed site..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: