Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Filmguard on 16mm work prints? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Filmguard on 16mm work prints?
Alain LeTourneau
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Alain LeTourneau   Author's Homepage   Email Alain LeTourneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does filmguard work on 16mm work prints?

I can only apply cleaner by the rewind method, but wanted to try a cleaner that lubricates in order to steady the print during projection (both camera and projector are to manufacturer's tolerances so the problem is not there). I get prints back from the lab and they run with a slight vertical bounce.

Thanks,
Alain

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-13-2004 04:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
FG will work fine on 16mm. I would recommend (as I always do) that you simply take a 35mm or 70mm cleaning machine and modify the drive wheel to 16mm width. It provides the best and smoothest possible application.

If you need, I can supply you with 16mm gauge media pads.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 06:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used FG on a wide range of 16mm viewing copies, ranging from '30s propionate and diacetate elements to '90s polyester ones. I've got nothing but positive things to say about it. It lubricates the passage of shrunk and brittle stock through a projector or telecine, fills in base scratches and lifts off dirt very effectively. Not quite as good as a full scale ultrasonic job: but given the difference in price, the fact that the two treatments are even in the same ballpark is pretty remarkable.

My only caveat with hand application would be my experience that the solvent in FG can dissolve the adhesive in tape joins, thereby causing them to come apart. I would suggest replacing tape joins with cement before application and projection in the case of acetate elements. Obviously you can't do that with polyester and ultrasonic splicers ain't cheap, though.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely recommend it on work prints, both 16 and 35mm (70mm should be OK too [Big Grin] ). Apply FG when the rushes comes straight from the lab, this eliminates shedding and gives them a certain protection when they are run through editing equipment, be it a KEM/Steenbeck or Moviola type.

When we had the first rough cut ready, we would clean the print again and never had any trouble with our splices. A nice effect is that if you have small scratches and cinch marks (it just happens when editing on film), FilmGuard will cover them up and besides cleaning off any debris and dirt, it gives you a kind of "wet gate" projection. Which is great when you want to screen your work print to investors, distributors and other people who are used to a "clean" video image.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 02:18 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about 8MM film. I have a bunch of home movies that I would like to try and transfer to video but would like to clean them up first. for the best possable image. I know the work would have to be done by hand. Would there be any adverse effect on 8MM film.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-13-2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem. Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fuji, etc...it's all fine. It does a nice job of cleaning up 8mm mag tracks as well.

Alain LeTourneau
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 05:38 PM      Profile for Alain LeTourneau   Author's Homepage   Email Alain LeTourneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of responses here...

I would have to apply FG with wipes of some kind since I do not have an applicator of any kind (not Ecco D or otherwise). I'm assuming this is an ok method of application?

I'm also a little confused about whether or not FG dissolves splice tape adhesive. Leo says "yes" and Christian says "not a problem".

Can anyone else weigh in on this?

Thanks,
Alain

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 06:00 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it depends on the brand of splicing tape and how good the splices were made. I don't know about long time effects, but my films cleaned with FG run through a Steenbeck and most have been projected two or three years after treatment without any problem.

FG was applied with a small microfiber cloth (for cleaning delicate surfaces) or leftover cleaning tape from an old Lipsner-Smith film cleaner (soft cotton, I suppose?).

I have seen so many workprints that were spliced quite rough, with the tape not correctly pressed at the edges. Maybe FG will have an effect if it can get under the tape layer.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-14-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you follow the instructions and aren't using super cheap splicing tape, then FG won't have an effect. If the tape is low quality or you are dousing the film, then it can loosen tape splices.

Alain LeTourneau
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 09:30 PM      Profile for Alain LeTourneau   Author's Homepage   Email Alain LeTourneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used 3M perforatted splice tape (Now use FPC) in splicing work print. I also use Neumade splice tape on my Neutaper SDS splicer when splicing reversal original for contact printing.

Are the above "high" quality?

And what about applying FG with an Ecco D applicator. Is it worth purchasing this device for applying FG or can it be managed just as well with a wipe and running the film through your hands?

Alain

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-14-2004 09:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can vouch for the Neumade as being a good choice. I've never used the 3M/FPC tape.

Don't waste your money with the ECCO. If you can't use a Kelmar cleaner, you're better off cleaning by hand. Just remember it only takes about an ounce to clean 2 hours of 35mm film. A little goes a long way.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 09:54 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, have you ever considered selling graduated bottles? I know it doesnt matter using a cleaner but I dont really know how much an ounce is. Plus I'm sure there are alot of theatres out there without cleaners.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-14-2004 09:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't much matter. Due to the variations in everyone's setups (some cleaners run faster, some people cut the media in half, etc), a marked bottle wouldn't do much good.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Err, Brad, a marked bottle would let each operator more easily measure how much they were using, potentially useful for their own tracking and comparisons, not necessarily for comparisons with other theatres.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-14-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Err, John, most theaters just use what they need to do the job and don't spend time making elaborate tracking charts. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: