Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Truck Wiper Motor Power MUTT

Author Topic: Truck Wiper Motor Power MUTT
Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the process of building a double MUTT and was wondering people thoughts of using truck wiper motors to power the spools? They will have plent of torque, but does anyone know what speed they will spin at? I am a bit woried about the rewind speed, I am guessing gearing with belts could solve that problem? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 10:20 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the rated duty cycle and see if it's made to run constantly. Some motors have high torque for certain lengths of time, like starter motors, but won't run for extended lengths. You may want to look at higher voltage dc motors (90vdc), as the control boards can be less robust and therefore less expensive.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2004 11:34 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a motor like the CFS platter and Strong MUT's use. They'll run for a good 25 years. You will need to put a diode in series with the motor because if you don't and try to run it with a speed control, you'll have some serious torque and speed control problems.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Double Mut going through the shop right now being rebuilt. Its a VERY simple device and uses G.E. gear reduction motors that have about a 160 rpm top speed. I can't ever remember one of these motors ever failing and the shaft is the correct size to place a half inch reel onto. The rest of it is nothing but a couple of variacs with cams on them so that the motor direction is reversed when the variac is at 50%. Let me know and I can supply you with the G.E. part number for these motors.... and don't forget the 200 watt light bulbs to use as ballast resistors. These motors have just the right operating dynamics for this use. I wouldn't reccomend using timming belts unless they are very large. Chain reduction might be better for this purpose..... A full 4 foot reel of film is pretty heavy to control!!

I also made a drawing with deminsions of the frame if you also want that. We will be building a couple of these in our shop in the near future as they are NLA new from EPRAD and the cost of freight alone to bring a Kinoton over here is about what it'll cost to build a new Double MUT.

Mark @ CLACO

P.S. The G.E. motors are continous duty motors.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2004 07:10 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm I am told the wiper motors will be ok for long duty, got no specs on them as they are from a truck wreckers. The problem is locating motors in AU, they are hard to find, Preslite make all types of motors, many being wheel chair motors which would be ideal, but they cost $350 AU each, so if any of you guys have suitable motors for sale I would be interested. I am also interested in the frame diagram Mark, that would help me alot! Thanks for any help you can offer me!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2004 09:38 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motors I use
Leeson Electric Corporation
model CM31D35NZ5D
90vdc
3500 RPM
1/4 hp
continuous duty.
Cost around $125 (usd) new

Leeson also makes a solid state motor speed controller to go with it, but the controllers can be found surplus on the internet for pretty cheap.

Here's a couple of quicky pics (forgive the picture quality please)

This one shows the back side of the contoller board/heatsink, the gears that control the speed control pot, the spindle, and the "dancer arm" that regulates film pay out

-

This one shows the Leeson motor, the double belt reduction, the speed contoller pc board and the "control panel".

-

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 07:49 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the only motors I can find are wheel chair gear motors which have the correct operting requirments. Mark are you able to email me those dimensions of the Eprad Mutt? Time for me to grab the welder and some angle iron.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-01-2004 09:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Am in Jackson Wyoming till Sunday. So give me till the beginning of next week to get them scanned and e-mailed to you.
I much prefer the roll around Double Mut design the Eprad did. BTW... These were designed by Eprad for 3 strip Cinerama back in the 60's so they didn't have to have an intermission in the showings. The Eprad patent on these expired many, many years ago!
Mark @ CLACO

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 04-02-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

May I also please have a copy of the MUT design?

I have been looking for one, but I have'nt seen one of these on the used market.

I'm sure I could put one of those together in a heartbeat!

As funding is low, I need a better active solution until I can purchase a Platter.

Thanks in advance,

Erick

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2004 07:11 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again, is a great help, hope I can get it to work, should not be to hard. Just another thing, on the EPRAD Mutt are the reels held in place with a pin?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2004 08:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not a pin, just a large screw in wing nut and washer that go into the threaded end of the shaft. I will also try to post some detailed pictures of one as well.....
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: