Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strange theory about Cap Code (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strange theory about Cap Code
Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a spanish forum I´ve read that the real use of the Cap code is for televsion. This man (he´s a college teacher) says that these noisy dots on the screen are some kind of signal for inserting the commercials in an automatic way.
Sorry for my poor english but these man uses a lot of technichal words and maybe you should go to the text if you understand spanish. Here is the link

cinesonido

Un saludo and no more wars, no more terrorism and no more victims.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-14-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm. No.

Are you sure this guy even knows what CAP code is?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that signal is mixed in the sound not the picture. If you have ever watched a sat transmision that did not mask the sound you can hear these loud tones come across the sound. They are actually there to tell the local stations or cable company equipment to activate local advertisments for broadcast.

quote:
these man uses a lot of technichal words
Just because you can use a lot of technical words does not mean you know what your talking about.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 09:15 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... I thought they'd stopped using audio cues for the most part... except maybe on some of the sports or shopping channels.

Good point though. I figured they'd gone to some kind of cue scheme up in the blanking lines somewhere.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 09:18 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,
Damodar is off the mark regarding confusing the CAP code for TV address signals which are usually used for logging purposes to prove transmission....these are usually out of the picture area or in an area of the image not noticeable to the average viewer.

Joshua Tefay
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 10:14 PM      Profile for Joshua Tefay   Email Joshua Tefay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered how TV stations cued advertisements!
Does anyone have any links on this subject?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-14-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that it's a lot more seat-of-the-pants than you might think, at least for live network television. Affiliates are told in advance after which national commercials their local commercial time will fit in, and the controller (a human) has to watch for the end of that commercial and start the local commercial programming.

For taped events, though, the networks give the affiliates schedules of commercials and programming down to the second.

--jhawk

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-15-2004 12:47 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of technical words? Like what, codec?

Well at least we now know that CAP was developed in Paris and that 35mm film takes advantage of the enormous quality of native DV.

quote:
Cap´s Codec (ó Codecs de Captura) fue un “invento” desarrollado en Paris ... a formato 35 m/m para pantalla grande (aprovechando la enorme calidad del DV nativo)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-15-2004 07:10 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
College professors....now there's a reliable source of technical information.

Me to a film professor and his students while they were touring the projection booth. "This is an anamorphic lens." Professor: "What's an anamorphic lens?"

In a film class on Fellini, after showing us a pan-&-scan 16mm print of LA DULCE VITA, the professor went on for about ten minutes explaining to us how Fellini, master of symbolism, had imbued the film with subtle statements about how dispensable people and relationships are by composing many of the shots so as to have the characters cut off by the film frame, literally severing them with his camera. He said Fellini used the film frame to "make a key statement about life." Yeah, more like the P&S transfer operator was making a statement about what he could fit into the 16mm 1.33 frame down from a 2.35 scope image.

Rather than embarrass this guy in front of the entire class, I quietly went up to him after class and point out the error of his theory, that this symbolism was not the famed director's doing, but a simple result of a very poor conversion system from the original scope to a frame of a totally different aspect ratio, half the original width. And what's more, showing this bastardized version instead of the original was a great disservice to the class.

By our conversation I realized he had never even seen this great film in a theatre or on 35 mm film and because I was "just a technician" he wasn't buying my explanation for why characters were cut off by the 16 mm frame. By his dismissive attitude, I realize I was talking to a horse's ass.

The jerk indicated that he was going to continue to preach his erronious therory (which very contradictory to how lovingly Fellini treats all his flawed characters). I felt I needed to take this thing in hand and let my fellow film students know the falacy of his theory. For the next two class day's I raised my hand trying to be recognized so I could debate him in front of the class, but the spinless weazel refused to call on me. So att he next class I simply came in before he arrived and explained to the other students what pan & scan was and the real reason characters were sliced by the edge of the film frame.

Stupidity is many times rewarded with tenure and the letters PhD.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2004 08:01 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some cable "networks" used the cue tones, and now the vertical interval data, to allow the local cable system to do automatic commercial insertion.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-15-2004 12:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an old joke -- told to me by a PhD. -- that says the letters stand for "permanent head damage." [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-15-2004 01:57 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no-no no-no, no! [Wink]

B.S. = Bull Shit.
M.S. = More Shit.
PhD. = Piled Higher and Deeper!

[Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-15-2004 04:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In broadcast television you are given a slate of when the commercial breaks happen. There's no tones involved (at least there wasn't at the TV station where I worked). You just have to be prepared to hit the break on time. That even means cutting off some newscaster rambling on and on about some bullcrap no one cares about.

The general manager of the TV station told me, before my first time in the hot seat of the director's chair, "you can screw up in all kinds of ways, go to black, mistime sound bites in news package tapes or whatever...just don't deviate a spot."

One would think items like tones would be used for cable companies, but they all use automated machines to play back commercials. It's funny as hell (but not at the time) if the big computerized tape jukebox breaks down and everyone in the engineering room is running around like chickens with their heads cut off looking for racks and carts! Deviate a spot and you'll have to air a make good free of charge. That costs you dearly pretty quick.

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2004 04:07 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple of different ways of handling que tones for automatic commercial insertion. Usually they are sub-audiable.

Also, sometimes things are inserted into the VBI, and you can sometimes see that as a mess of stuff on the extreme top of the screen if your TV has some issues or the broadcaster is letting it thru for some reason.. tho generally things like closed captioning and teletext are kept in the VBI.

--Chris

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-15-2004 04:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank said:

>>Stupidity is many times rewarded with tenure and the letters PhD. <<

Love it. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: