Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Using a computer as an OScope

Author Topic: Using a computer as an OScope
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded the winscope program, and I understand how to use it...but what would I do to connect my laptop to the test points? I have a Dell Inspiron Latop. Would I have to make a special cable?

Thanks,
D

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 06:40 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, used to use it myself on an Inspiron 3200

U need stereo mini jack to test point cable, using the line in socket on the laptop.

Works very well once you get the gains and triggering set up

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 10:16 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool, you have any idea where I can find this part? I tried looking online for quite a while yesterday but had no luck...
Thanks,
D

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't find one off the shelf. Get the soldering iron out!

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so I guess I'm taking the red and connecting it to the positive side of the jack and the gound to the negative?

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 08:37 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, your line in jack is a 1/8th inch TRS cable... tip / ring/ sleeve. They reresent the tip, ring, and sleeve on the connector of a stereo minijack.

The tip and ring are you left and right channels (i've never used winscope, but I'm guessing it can be two channel sweeps if you can use left and right audio inputs...) The sleeve (which is the braided sheild on the cable) is where you will share your ground test point. You really only need to solder either the tip or the ring as your "positive" test lead connection.

I wouldn't bother destroying a perfectly good oscilloscope probe but rather tin the leads of your audio cable to a sharp, stiff point.

Hope this helps!
-Jackson

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: