Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DSTR Reading 1's and 0's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DSTR Reading 1's and 0's
Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have installed a number of DSTR units recently and I have been noticing that we are getting 1's and 0's on prints that are 2-3 weeks old. I have never seen these numbers on a Cat. 701 or Cat. 702 right out of the box. I just wanted to know if anyone else was having the same experiences. Has anyone seen a consistent reading of 1's and 0's on either of the Dolby readers?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-17-2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will typically get at least a digit lower reading from the DSTR than with the cat 701. I can't speak for the CAT 702 as we only use the DSTR now because of its easy to replace LED and the fact that it tracks better than the others do. I can say that the CAT 702 has the same technology as the DSTR so in theory it should be comparable in error readings to the DSTR.

Mark @ CLACO

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 03:52 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um....out of pure curiosity, what's a DSTR??

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-17-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.bacpinc.com/readersdigital.htm

Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 04:04 PM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.uslinc.com/products/dstr-20.htm

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 06:40 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob...I may have mentioned this when we met but for everyone else...I installed 4 of them and was getting 3-4 error rate. I'm unsure of the age of the prints but being in medium size houses I'd imagine 3+ weeks or so. I think a big factor here is they are sitting on Christies and jitter is high. Also interesting to note, they gave these readings out of the box and my tweaking might have improved some tracking details but the overall error rate stayed pretty much the same.

Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike...have you ever gone back to those same houses to see what kind of error rates you were getting with different prints? I have seen some prints that just don't get any better then a 3 or 4, but I've never even seen a 1 (let alone a 0) on a Cat. 701 or Cat. 702 no matter what print was playing. Now my experience with the Cat. 702 is limited, but the Cat. 702 readers that I have seen in service were not getting 0's and 1's...EVER. Are the labs getting better and the Cat. 702 is also reading 1's and 0's or is the DSTR better at reading the patch?

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 08:36 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gone back to these, but I've been working in this place installing 4 screens so I may look them over if I have a little time. I'd like to try that alignment loop they gave us on them.
I think the best I've seen on a 699/700 is 2-3 on a consistent basis. You can get it lower if you tweak it to the print but it can change reel to reel. I know people say they get lower consistently but I haven't seen it. Plus the way it changes trailer to trailer and reel to reel makes me wonder how much it is worth sweating over.

What kind of heads were the ones you just installed sitting on?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-17-2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, There is new technology in the DSTR developed by BACP that was also shared with Dolby for use in the CAT 702..... They ought to read about the same error rate in theory.

Mark @ CLACO

Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the new technology used on the DSTR. This is why I have been using them for installations. Every installation I have done has been on a Simplex or Century projector. Knowing that the DSTR and Cat. 702 are using the same advances in reader technology, the question remains...

Has ANYONE seen 1's and 0's on a Cat. 702?
Is anyone else getting 1's and 0's on their DSTR?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-17-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I see 0s and 1s frequently on my cat702s. I have also seen those numbers from time to time on my cat701s (although as a general rule the 701 is the worst tracking of all the penthouses out there and will commonly run between 1-3). The problem is a matter or dirt and abrasion. The SRD tracks get quite a beating in most projector gates. Also the tiniest amount of dirt will wreak havoc on the reader's ability to read the track. If you have any dirt left over at the end of the show's run in the gate, you are slowly damaging that SRD track, especially if you have hardened deposits on the bands/rails. Get yourself a media film cleaner and a bottle of FilmGuard and you will see the initial error rating on even a brand new print will DROP and will never rise. If you want to see true performance out of any of those readers, ya gotta keep the films perfectly clean.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

What can I do with 700's that read a 4-6 all the time?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-17-2004 11:31 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turn the LED power trim pot up very slightly. If you're allowed to do that without being shot.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 11:32 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's not led though...

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-17-2004 11:33 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd guess you would have a problem if you've got a LED array in a 700. How old is the lamp? Do you have a scope?

I'm going to bed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: