Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » video and/or 16mm capability (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: video and/or 16mm capability
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-28-2004 05:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Random question, I know, but I'm curious.

Does your theatre have permanently installed 16mm and/or video projection capability? What type of equipment do you use? Is the picture and sound quality decent? Do you fill the 35mm screen or project a smaller image? For video, what formats can you play? Do you own the deck(s) or do you just own the projector and rent whatever deck you need when necessary? By "video," I'm not referring to the full-blown DLP setup, just regular NTSC/PAL or HD video.

How often does this equipment get used? Does it pay for itself?

My answer:

Of the three theatres where I work semi-regularly (two singles, one 6-plex), one of them (a single) has 16mm capability, but it's sort of a half-assed setup involving a MARC-300 B&H projector and a separate large-reel unit. I've never run it personally, but they apparently use it a couple of times per year. None of these venues has a permanently installed video system.

The best-equipped places seem to be colleges, which usually have (in addition to 35mm) 16mm and various video formats (mostly DVD, laserdisc, multi-standard VHS, and sometimes 3/4"; I don't know of any place that owns a deck for any of the broadcast formats (Beta SP, Digi-Beta, etc.).

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 02:04 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The best-equipped places seem to be colleges," I guess that'd be us (MIT).

Our primary booth (Century Cs) has an Eiki EX-6120, and it does project a slightly smaller image than the 35mm image, but gets used sufficiently infrequently that it's not a big deal. It also has an NTSC projector that projects on an auxilliary screen off-to-the-side of the main screen.

Our secondary booth (Bauer U4s) has Bauer Selekton 16mm attachments that slide in front of the U4s, so they're 35/16 projectors. They do fill the screen. Also video front-and-center with DVD and VHS.

We essentially never use video (once in a blue moon for a trailer), but of course these are multipurpose rooms and the video gets used heavily by other people.

--jhawk

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 02:25 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here: our university cinema (which is a lecture theatre during the day) has 16/Super 16 capability with a Kinoton FP-18; plus an S-XGA video projector which can be fed by DVD, VHS/S-VHS, DVCAM, Mini DV, and a PC for Powerpoint and the like in lectures. We can bring in a Beta SP or Digibeta player from elsewhere in the institution should we need to. The 16mm and video picture is the same size as 35mm in Academy, though as it only has a 500w lamp, the 16mm picture obviously isn't anything like as bright as 35. You can set the DVD player so it'll output anamorphic pixels to the projector, thereby projecting an image from a widescreen DVD about the same size as 35mm in 1:1.85; but the definition is gruesome, to say the least. The total screen size is about 7 x 3 metres.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2004 02:25 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Prytania Theater in New Orleans apparently has a permanently installed video projection system of some type.

http://www.theprytania.com/main.html

It's a theater which is often rented for many New Orleans film festivals of new & independent stuff, which often comes on video. They apparently use it for other things, too: I was told that last Friday they ran Teddy at the Throttle (a silent) on video & had part of the Louisiana Philharmonic there providing accompaniment.

I know of several college auditoriums & a few PAC's that have really bad (often cheap) video projection systems. Their use is restricted to student showings of films just to say they're providing programming, & the same for the PAC's. A couple of the PAC's just bring over a video projector "from the college". Picture poor, attendance poor, PAC PR blurbs as "state-of-the-art digital projection" with a word that it won't look as good as what you're used to now at the movies "of course, because it's an old movie".

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2004 04:01 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at Wollongong University, UniMovies, the on-campus film presentation club, has invested quite a lot in video facilities over recent years - there's not a lot of improvement possible on the 35mm side.
We've got a JVC DILA projector (SXGA) outputting 5000 lumens. We use an anamorphic lens on the projector and I feel that the brightness and contrast is sufficient to match our 35mm projectors (we recently updated that to Kineton FP-30E) - but only up to widescreen. We can screen from VHS, SuperVHS, Laserdisc, DVD, VCD and BetaSP as well as miniDV.
We use the projector to screen slides and powerpoint from Mac or PC, and show music videos prior to our 35mm features. If we were not a volunteer organisation I would say the video would not be in any way cost-effective. But we want to be able to support any form of presentation.
Our most recent video presentation was the local Short Film Festival, presented from miniDV. Our screen is 20' high and, although we can project video to full scope ratio, I think widescreen is the biggest picture where video is acceptable.
We'd like to get better resolution input (we can do HD TV). What's the opinion of film-techers of D-VHS as a video source?

Peter Castle
UniMovies
Uni of Wollongong

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2004 09:09 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Granada Theatre we use an RCA Arc-400 to show silent movies for the pipe-organ programs, fills the screen same as the 35s. The unit burns 6mm negative and 7mm positive carbons. ...Jim

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2004 11:07 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know the model of our projector off the top of my head, but the CWRU film society has a permanantly installed 16 projector. The manual's in Italian, if that helps. Vertically it fills the screen, and it has a turret with standard and anamorphic lenses. (Last anamorphic 16 print we showed was the original Solaris, which I thought was boring as heck, but that's another thread)

We also have a pair of portiable EIKIs we use when we the university decides they need to use the room for other purposes. Fortunately, that's extremely rare.

No permanantly installed video capability, but we can borrow a projector when we get a completely unrunnable print and have to go rent the DVD to show. (Which we then retroactively go and sort out with our distributor. We paid for the right to show the movie, after all.) It looks like garbage, though. Rocky Horror with a live cast and a DVD? Yuk.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't own any video gear. It's needed once a year for a local fest, and we rent projector(s), DVC and DigiBeta decks as they require.

I have a 16mm Eiki model EX-1520 (xenon bulb), which I can put in any of our five auditoriums as needed, and fill the full screen height. It doesn't get used that frequently. The fest needs it once every couple of years, and I drag it out for the occasional odd midnight show.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-29-2004 07:02 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got an eastman theatre projector, theatre version of thw 275, we use for 16. cant remember the model off the top of my head. Has an ORC 1KW on the back of it. For video we use a Sanyo PLV-70 with a 2000 dollar lens to make the nearly 100' throw. aside from being a bit dimmer that our 35, it looks quite good.

Josh

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-29-2004 08:09 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all Regal theatres have permanently intalled video projectors in every auditorium for preshow advertising, live satalite events, and content for buisiness auditorium rentals.

The video source is primarily from a computer playing higher-than-dvd quality MPEG, allthough any source with VGA, s-video, or component video out can also be used.

The video is projected using a Christie Road Runner L6 DLP projector, which is really an aftermarket Sanyo. We also use the lense attachment to achieve better throw. Typicly the video fills the entire screen, but not always. The color and video quality depends on how big the screen is. This projector works extreamly well on screens up to 30 feet wide, with excellent color. However beyond 30 feet, the image begins to get dim.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 08:31 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh Jones wrote:

quote:
We've got an eastman theatre projector, theatre version of thw 275, we use for 16. cant remember the model off the top of my head.
Likely the EASTMAN Model 30 or Model 40, which had the takeup reel flat against the lower front panel?:

http://www.film-center.com/e40.html

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 09:38 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christie RoadRunner L6 is a 3-LCD projector, not DLP. 5200 lumens with both bulbs on, 2600 on half power. 1024 x 768. Projector Central says Christie makes it; they usually say if the same box is offered by more than one vendor. Perhaps Sanyo makes the optical engine? MSRP is about $19K. Street price about $11K.

Projector Central's Summary

Christie Road Runner L6 Page

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 10:14 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sanyo is building the Roadrunner.....

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 10:27 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Small world...Sanyo is one of Kodak's partners in commercializing Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) displays:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/sanyoFlat.jhtml

quote:
Eastman Kodak Company and Sanyo Electric Co. unveiled this week a prototype fifteen-inch flat-panel display, the next generation of full-color displays based on Kodak's patented organic light-emitting diode (OLED) technology.

The two companies are showing the prototype at the CEATEC JAPAN trade show. The active-matrix display features full-color, 1280 x 720 (HDTV) resolution; a display area of 326.4 x 183.6 mm; and a brightness that rivals the best active-matrix LCD monitors on the market today.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/LS633.jhtml

quote:
OLED Technology

OLED displays comprise self-luminous pixels, requiring no backlights used in liquid crystal displays (LCDs). So they offer design and performance advantages, including clearer images, crisper video, and thinner designs in digital cameras, mobile phones, PDAs and other devices. Additional benefits over conventional technologies include higher contrast for superb readability in most lighting conditions, faster response time to support streaming video, and industry-leading (165 degree) viewing angle for superior ergonomics. In addition to the joint manufacturing venture for AM OLED panels with Sanyo, Kodak licenses OLED technology to more than one dozen display and device manufacturers worldwide.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-29-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, your right. 3 LCD. I just assumed DLP because it doesnt have the screen door effect I associate with LCD projectors. However, I can assure you Sanyo makes it. They even had one on display in the Sanyo booth at ShoWest, albiet with a Sanyo logo in place of a Christie one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: