Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with DTS-6D & Dolby CP55

Author Topic: Help with DTS-6D & Dolby CP55
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 12:05 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having the same problem in 2 different theaters with
different prints and would appreciate any help.

Running a DTS-6D with a Dolby CP55 - the dts will pick up the
time code and run fine but the CP55 won't switch over to run off
the DTS, I have to do it manually.
I even tried, after manually switching to DTS, blocking the time code and it will switch off the DTS and then switch back after I unblock the time code but it won't initially switch over to it.
Any Ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-31-2004 10:05 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
When/how long is your projector automation pulsing the CP? It's probably overriding/blocking what the 6D is trying to get it to do. To determine if this is what is happening, temporarily disconnect the leads from the projector automation at the CP and see if it works fine (assuming that DTS is the first thing to play).

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are you relying on a cue to switch it over or the first timecode that the unit recognizes as being on the disc.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am relying on the first time code on the disk not on a cue.

And i don't think it is the automation interfering(which is a
Strong SPA7)because even when the first 2 trailers aren't on
the DTS disk is still doesn't switch.Would the automation be interfering for that long?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-01-2004 01:20 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the movie/trailer discs from the 6D and insert a DTS empirical test disc into drive A. Does the 6D pulse the CP into digital when the test disc starts to play?

Have you visually double checked the beginning of the feature to make sure some crazy cracker didn't leave/put a cue there?

What does the CP do at the start of the feature? Does it switch into digital momentarily and then revert back to stereo?

What cue detector/failsafe is on the machine? What automation are we talking about?

Please confirm for us that when the feature is on screen, the system light on the 6D is blinking, the timecode light is solid and not blinking, and the drive access lights are flickering.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-01-2004 09:48 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is DTS the only thing running on those CP55's? Do they have DA10/20's hooked to them? If so you will need to turn the DA units off when running DTS in order for it to switch the format.
Check the wiring going from the DTS unit to the cp55 logic board. Make sure that there are no loose conections. I had this problem on one of our units here.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 11:48 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cant find an empirical test disk so i am going to call for one.

I'll check for crazy cues but they are all first run prints and
it happens on different prints.

The CP never switches into digital at all during the trailers or
start of the feature.

It is a Strong SPA 7 Automation & Strong FP350 failsafe cue detector.

When the feature is on yes the 6D is picking up time code and running in digital, all lights are correct and as soon as i
manually switch,it goes right in just fine.

and yes the DTS is the only thing running on the CP

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: