Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reverse Scan Readers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Reverse Scan Readers
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 02:56 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all again.
Now will all this Cyan crap going around, we are looking in deep deep deep trouble. Anyway. In my area most cinemas use conventional stereo solar cells. Now I need some help whether Reverse Scan LED Readers are available for certain models which run here in Cyprus and who provides them. Here is the list. Any help will be appreciated.

1. Cinemeccanica V4 (I think Kelmar has one out already)
2. Cinemeccanica V5 (OK That exists I Know)
3. Cinemeccanica V6 (WOW DO THESE PROJECTORS still exist!!)
4. Cinemeccanica V8 (This one exists too directly from company)
5. Cinemeccanica V9
7. Cinemeccanica V10 (THE BEASTS WITHIN)
8. Cinemeccanica Portable Projector (Not sure of model though)
9. PREVOST C60 or something (Black model)
10. PREVOST (Silver/Grayish Model)
11. Microtechnica projectors
12. DEVRY

I am looking over the net. If anyone has any information or knows whether Reverse Scan Readers are available for these projectors please contribute.
I DON'T WANT JAXLIGHT (sorry I had to say it)
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-31-2004 06:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BACP which makes the best readers can cover you for the majority of your needs. There are a some like the DrVry, microtechnica, and Vic 10 that simply do not exist yet. These would need to be custom made. BACP might take these on for you... you'd just have to e-mail them and find out.

Mark @ CLACO

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 07:13 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BACP displayed new models for the Prevost 55 and 93 machines and with some work the available items would fit a P70. The P60 we used a Cinemeccanica kit as used for a V-5, created a new sheet metal housing and mounted a led and heat sink in the sound drum bracket....we also have used Component Engineering analog readers with a 12mm ( short tube ) with excellent results. ACL ( Walter Voight of Switzerland )has some nice laser kits for Prevost / Ernemann / Meopta and others if you want to continue using your stereo cells.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 08:13 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all.
I am interested in options of upgrading to Reverse Scan Readers and I want the laserlens coversion to be the last of the last of the last option. Any help will be greatly appreciated. We have several of V10s here so anyone????
Please???

Demetris

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BACP can make a model for the V10. I have all the parts except I do need a measurement from the solar cell mounting block to the lip of the sound drum on the soundtrack side so I can make my LED mount to the correct height. There are no V10's in the US and only one I know of in Canada.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-31-2004 10:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So has anyone figured out a conversion for Western Electric Universal Bases? Is anyone else even using these?

Maybe we should all just go back to sound on disk (Vitaphone, not DTS) and solve the dye-track issue for good. [evil]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, there are some V-10's on the East coast, I used to service several in the Miami area. Hornstein imported them prior to Carbons ( Now Xetron ) Inc took over distribution with the V-8. International cinema probably have a few in the warehouse.
Upgrade a Universal [puke] the increased fidelity would probably increase hearing flutter issues with the drive sprocket....you guys are too triftly in that part of the world [Big Grin]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
triftly? [Confused]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 02:18 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is how you say financially tight with an New England accent [Wink] .....lousy keyboard pecker [Cool]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-31-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had two pairs of V-10's at differing times in my home screening room. They were built like a tank.... unlike the later Italian machines that are made of pot metal by comparison. The V-10's are all cast iron including the base. Shipping to the U.S. must have cost a fortune even back in the late 50's when they were being sold. Easily as heavy as a DP-70.

Mark @ CLACO

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Easily as heavy as a DP-70.

...but not as pretty [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-31-2004 06:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the Temple theatre in Saginaw MI run with a pair of V-10s?

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will someone do me the favor and get me the dimmension
I alluded to?

I will also call ICE/MTE and see if they have one.

Thanks everyone.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-31-2004 09:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Its conceviable that the pair in the Temple may be one of my pairs of V-10's since they were donated to a theatre by the person that bought them from me. Now known as the Temple of Victoria! The other pair are in the Chicago Cinema Museum. Sam ya might give Kerry Williams a call there for that dimension you need.... but verify a couple of machines in differeing locals to be sure on those... The first pair that I owned had magnetic stabilization on the rotary stabilizer... similar to the Century R-2.

Mark

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 05:50 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

Yes, the Temple Theatre in Saginaw MI has a pair of V 10s. These machines came from the Miami Theatre and were supplied by ICECO.

I will post our DTS conversion and some photos of the Theatre Restoration when I can get the time.

I have one of the optical scanners apart now as someone moved the solar cell under the rim of the reader and ground the right cell into oblivion. I can get the dimension for you next trip to the booth (96 steps). The conversion is to laser for the red light and the changeover is done in the DTS-6AD. The magnetic penthouses are still intact and can be remounted in a matter of minutes if we get a mag print.

KEN

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: