Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can I find documentation on how to replace our igniter? Safety tips? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can I find documentation on how to replace our igniter? Safety tips?
Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An igniter is not working properly on one of our projectors (Super Highlight II). We have an extra one lying around, however there is no documentation on the replacement procedure. I've looked at Strong's website as well as this one, and have also flipped through the entire lamphouse instruction manual. The closest detail I can get with the igniter PCB is the white box that encases it.

So I'm assuming all you do is disconnect the leads (shunts?) from the two posts protruding from the white box, and then pull the box out, then once in the box the rest should be self-explanatory? The other safety note I observed was to discharge the capacitors across the spark gap with an insulated screwdriver. And sorry for yet another retarded question but, does it matter which end of the capacitor I touch it to (is it polarized?)

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated! Thanks!

-Jackson

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 02:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming that you are replacing the unit with one that is exactly the same:

You can take the wires off the original igniter, one at at time, then mark the wires and the terminals with pieces of tape. For instance, put a piece of tape on your first wire marked, "W-1". Put a piece of tape on its terminal marked, "T-1". Repeat the process... "W-2", "T-2", "W-3, "T-3", etc. until you have all the terminals and wires marked.

Next, you remove the old igniter and transfer the tapes with the "T-numbers" to the new one. Be sure to get the tapes onto the matching terminals! Then install the new one in the reverse order you took the old one out. Match up your "T-numbers" with your "W-numbers" and put the wires on the correct terminals. Make sure everything's tightened properly. Double check your wiring. Say a little prayer. Kick the tire. Light the fire. You should be good to go!

I don't suppose I have to remind you to turn off all the circuit breakers to the lamphouse, do I? [Wink]
Don't forget that there may be more than one breaker. (I got nailed on that once!)

Do you know where the capacitors are in the rectifier? (Or even IF there are capacitors.) If so, take a screwdriver with an insulated handle and short them out. They'll go, "SNAP!!", and sparks will fly but it will save you from a painful (and potentially dangerous) shock. (I got bit by one of those, too! Not fun! Take it from me! [Wink] )

Other than that, just work slowly and carefully. Use your common sense. It's not a hard job. Once you've done it a couple-few times, you can probably do it in, say, 30 minutes or less.

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy:
I would assume we're using the same igniters that come with the Super Highlights (part no. 39862). A tech came down here a while back and instead of replacing the igniter he actually cut one of the capacitors off the board. Of course, they're are 5 maybe 6 large orange toroidal capacitors on the board, so I'd have no clue which one to remove.

The capacitors in the rectifier: are you talking about the two huge (1 farad?) ones at the base of the console? I was talking about shorting the capacitors on the PCB that I was replacing, but I'll short those too I guess!

And thank you for the help!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-31-2004 05:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you are aware that these ignitors are repairable..... On the older ignitors that are 7 to 10 years old its usually the AC to high voltage xformer that fails. The original lder xformer is no longer available as the company went out of buisness but a transformer fomr an IGA-8 Christie ignitir is readily adaptable to the Strong unit. Just did one yesterday.

Mark @ CLACO

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 08:10 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jackson has the new Strong D.C. pulse igniter. Removal is fairly straight forward (if you know which end of a screwdriver to hold [Wink]
As to which capacitors to remove...http://www.strong-cinema.com/downloads/bulletins/service_bulletins/SB-0024.pdf

Don't cut them out "just because" I've found some instances where doing so makes it inoperative.
Take it from me, those caps store a charge. Short them out with a jumper lead before playing with the board.
As well, it's a good idea to short the main D.C. from the rectifier with a screwdriver to discharge its capacitors. There's nothing worde than getting a lift when you're in such close proximity to an exposed xenon bulb. And, of course, WEAR A MASK.

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 01:26 AM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent. Thanks very much for the help all of you!

I'll make sure I'm standing in a bucket of water while I do all of this too - y'know...for luck.

-Jackson

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-01-2004 02:47 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's only 3 wires on the impulse ignitor unit; the 2 DC cables and a wire that runs to the + connection post by the front of the mirror. Don't remove the 3rd wire that goes directly to the post on the ignitor. The + terminal bolt requires a 9/16 wrench and the ignitor wire is under both nuts and all the washers, on a big lug that generally gets distorted by tightening and is a prick to get off. The actual brass bolt sticking up should be stuck in the insulator so you don't have to worry about losing it when taking the bottom nut off.
Once removed, open the white case and you see the circuit board. Disconnecting and removing it is pretty easy. The "discharging" required is for this board. It holds a highish voltage charge, and it will give you a good jolt if you don't discharge it before handling! You can see the spark gap, just put a wire across the ends before removing the board. It will spark nicely if the unit has been powered recently.

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2004 12:42 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news! The replacement was a triumphant success. Bad news, it didn't fix the problem. Er, so I guess that's not really a triumphant success.

Before you say, "You idiot," I'd just like to explain that the information I was given by my manager beforehand was what led me to changing the igniter PCB. He told me that, "There are plenty of good hours left on that bulb, so the bulb's fine. It's not the bulb. Trust me."

Well, now I happen to think it's the bulb, because the igniter is pulsing at about 2 pulses a second. The open circuit voltage rises to a stable 150 V DC (which I know is bad). After about 5 or 6 minutes the bulb finally strikes with a good light level.

The board I took out /did/ happen to have two of the capacitors snapped off. The new one has all five (or is it six?) attatched to it. Also there were traces of corrosion around the solder joints on the spark gap, but I figure that's normal wear n' tear.

Pending a bulb swap-out, and if it turns out NOT to be the bulb, what then do I need to do about this problem?

Thanks again for all of your highly informative help. I couldn't have done it without your support!

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next step if you haven't done so yet check connections from recitifier to bulb.
Good luck

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This problem is on one of our projectors that has a "buzz." The rectifier's transformers actually vibrate loud enough that you can't hear yourself think. A tech dampened the vibration on one of our units a while back, although didn't manage to entirely eliminate the problem.

I wonder then, if these vibrations have loosened those connections, and if so, what measures can be taken to dampen these buzzing machines?

Sorry for all the questions by the way.
-Jackson

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-06-2004 03:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the kind of rectifier and the transformer that it has. Generally speaking, it's because the layers of metal in the transformer are delaminating or because parts of the transformer are loose and vibrate. Sometimes, with Irem's for instance, there are bolts that can be tightened up to keep the parts from vibrating. Other times, there is a way to drive a wooden or brass shim into the transformer to tighten the parts. Still other times, the whole transformer will have to be taken out and dipped in shellac to stop it vibrating. Even after all that, some transformers STILL insist on vibrating.

If customers can hear it in the auditorium, it really ought to be fixed.

You have Strong rectifiers? I don't know how to stop them vibrating except to look inside for loose parts of the frame that can be tightened. I'm sure others will come along with better ideas in a short time. [Smile]

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 01:53 AM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the tech that came down did the "wedge" thing with a small peice of wood. I just didn't catch where he wedged it. He also claimed that the transformers' vibrations were a shipping defect; that they got knocked around or something. Alas, thankfully no-one can hear anything in the auditorium. The barrier between the projector and the auditorium is almost sound-proof it seems.

I doubt the transformer is vibrating screws loose; we've had the problem since the theater opened. That is definatly one area of the projector I DON'T like to putz around in...at least until I've learned about three phase power in school.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-07-2004 11:11 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three phase is your FRIEND!

-

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-07-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it doesn't go through your body! [Eek!]

Just remember, it's CURRENT that kills. Under the right conditions, even a few volts could let a fatal level of current go through the body:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JackHsu.shtml

quote:
A common misconception is that larger voltages are more dangerous than smaller ones. However, this is not quite true. The danger to living things comes not from the potential difference, but rather the current flowing between two points. The reason that people may believe this can be explained by the equation V = IR. Since V is directly proportional to I, an increase in voltage can mean an increase in current, if resistance (R) is kept constant.

The amount of damage done by the electric shock depends not only on the magnitude of the current, but it also on which portions of the body that the electric current is flowing through. The reason for this is that different parts of the body have difference resistances, which can lead to an increase in current, evidenced by the formula V = IR.

An interesting fact to note is that it takes less alternating current (AC) to do the same damage as direct current (DC). AC will cause muscles to contract, and if the current were high enough, one would not be able to let go of whatever is causing the current coursing through the body. The cut-off value for this is known as the "let-go current". For women, it is typically 5 to 7 milliamperes, and for men, typically 7 to 9 milliamperes. This is dependent on the muscle mass of the individual.

In general, current that is fatal to humans ranges from 0.06 A to 0.07 A, depending on the person and the type of current.

http://www.t2.unh.edu/spring99/pg4.html

quote:
Current Values through Body Trunk in Milliamperes (ma)
Effect on Average Human Body

1 ma or less No sensation
1-8 milliamperes Sensation of shock. Person can let go.
8-15 milliamperes Painful shock. Person can let go at will, if muscle control not lost.
15 to 20 milliamperes Painful shock. Muscle control to adjacent muscles lost.
20-50 milliamperes Painful. Severe muscular contractions. Breathing is difficult.
50-100 milliamperes Probable Death
Greater than 100ma Death

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-07-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, my friends, the 600 amp disconnect and the 225 KVA transformer would probably be enough to knock an elephant on its ass!

OK. Silliness aside. Yes! Treat all power connections with respect! However, people who fear electricity too much are, in my opinion, just as vulnerable as people who don't respect it. Idiots who don't understand the dangers are bound to do something stupid and kill themselves or others. Scaredy-cats spend more time worrying about getting hurt and not doing the job safely. Neither of these kinds of people should be allowed to work with electricity, except to press the "ON" switch at the outside of the console.

I'm standing in front of the disconnect handle in that picture so you can't see that it is open and the handle is locked out. As most of us know, these boxes have interlocking covers that can't be opened until the handle is in the off position and the handle can't be put into the on position until the cover is closed.

For the most part, as long as you don't touch anything above the red contactors or reach behind that plastic shield you're safe. Believe me! As silly as the intent of that picture was, I did NOT take chances! All the power was turned off before that cover was opened!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: