Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aligning Digital readers without proper software & Osciloscope

Author Topic: Aligning Digital readers without proper software & Osciloscope
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2004 07:14 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So,
One question for the real Dolby Digtal Maniacs. How often have you alinged a Dolby Digital reader without the software and the osciloscope???? For those of you thinking it's impossible I say to you NO ITS NOT IMPOSSIBLE. I did it and I am happy and proud about it and managed to get a better reading than when I alinged it with the software!!!! This can be done though Only with the CP500 or the DA20 since you aling the reader by watching the green LEDS on the video aquisition boards. The order I found to be the most effective is:
1st Aling the focus to get as many leds light up and as steady as you can. Also attempt to get the lowest error reading.
2nd Aling the lateral position again using the same principle. Trying to get the lowest reading you can and as steady leds you can get.
3rd Aling the azimuth, although this only makes a very slight difference (from 4. to 4 for example) but still its worth it.
And last boost the voltage of the LEDS ONLY A LITTLE so that you won't blow them to pieces!!!
It takes more time, a lot of nerves, and a lot of patience to do it. The amazing thing was that I got better results after I did this rather than using the software and the osciloscope. Does anyone do this anorthodox not approved wrong way for Film Done Right???? [Smile]
I know many aling analog stereo solar cells by eye and by experience but how many aling Digital Readers without the proper tools??
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2004 08:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember doing this with a basement reader once where I was able to gt it to playback, however when I got back with the proper equipment I found the reader still quite a bit off kilter. The part thats just about imposible to without proper eequipmeent is the lens focus adjustment. Lateral position and azimuth can be adjusted so there is playback of a certain film, but you would probably find alot higher error rates from things only being near proper adjustment.... these error rates are not really shown on the single digit readout.

A good dealo of "film done right" involves having the proper test gear and it sounds like you need to buy yourself some test gear!! Check out E-Bay for really good deals.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2004 10:55 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Mark. Actually I Do have a good set of test equipment. But being miles away from it and having a huge film premier at the same night I had to compromise. I was really amazed though that I got lower error readings. I tried several films to check that it was done "right" and it was!!
Anyway
Anyone else?

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2004 12:35 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A rough alinment can be done, but it will never be perfect.
The led current should be checked correctly, otherwise your led may fail quicky.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-02-2004 03:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had to resort to this method once and it worked out okay but it's definitely not "film done right." No way.

Furthermore, we will find ourselves on a "slippery slope" if we start "approving" any and all manners of equipment alignment just because the ends seem to justify the means. And this philosophy obviously extends beyond the alignment of audio equipment (or the film industry, for that matter).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: