Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How was "BROTHER BEAR Presented in theatres?

Author Topic: How was "BROTHER BEAR Presented in theatres?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-04-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched "BROTHER BEAR" last night on DVD and enjoyed it very much. The movie on two discs was presented in two versions. The first version of the movie on Disc #1 was in the "Family Friendly' ratio and was 16X 9 enhanced in the 1.85.1 ratio throughout the film. The 2nd disc featured the movie in the original theatrical ratio in 1.85.1 for the first 27 minutes and 2.35.1 for the rest of the film. Not having seen the film when it played in a theatre, I would like to know how was it presented on the large screen. Did most theatre present the film on a fully exposed scope screen or did most of you use your side screen masking during the 1.85.1 segment? I did notice the screen went dark for several seconds when the aspect ratio changed to 2.35.1. If I was a projectionist and played this film in a theatre like The El Capitan theatre in Los Angeles where it actually played, I would use the side masking during the 'flat' segment, and close the curtain during the pause and reopen it exposing a full scope image. Presenting the film like this would have been very cool! If there were no curtain, I would slowly open the side masking as soon as the image in scope hits the screen. Your comments on this would be appreciated.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-04-2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Since this was well discussed back during it's theatrical release, please continue here .

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: