Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS 6AD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS 6AD
Patrick A. Meister
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 03:00 PM      Profile for Patrick A. Meister   Email Patrick A. Meister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

Can you tell me something about the Digital/Analog processor of DTS?
Is it good?

Kind Regards
Patrick

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-05-2004 04:22 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, their pseudo SR is exceptionally lacking. Get a real CP and attach a DTS-6D to it.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 05:14 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick, if you do a search on the 6AD, you find a lot of information about the unit and why it's not a good idea to get. Mostly do to the crappy faux SR that Daryl mentioned above.

Oliver Pasch
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 02:23 AM      Profile for Oliver Pasch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but i can't support the opinions here about the optical SR decoding of a 6ad, actually i think it's the opposite: it's good, if not better than some (CP-45) "real" CPs, definitely equivalent, the only thing you need to consider is HF-alignment. Where a "real" CP pardons mistakes (= too much HF) rather friendly, a 6ad needs "correct" alignment. Use the auto-HF-alignment on a CP-500 or - 650 and you won't be amazed of optical sound of these units as well.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 02:42 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manual alingment of everything, including equalisation has always been my favourite. That is the reason I love CP65 and Smart MOD VI processor. Because in CP65 you manually equalize EVERYTHING. And in MOD VI you have full band equalization in all channels and a very good SR demodulation. All processors are good in their own way. Technicians, Installers, Projectionists need to learn that no automatic configuration is good when installing a processor. That is my opinion anyway.
Demetris

Max Biela
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 02:49 PM      Profile for Max Biela   Email Max Biela   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] the CP 45 isn't a REAl CP... Why not connect a SRA 5 to a DTS 6 AD to get REAL SR?

Max

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-08-2004 02:54 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comparing things to a CP45 is pretty lame in my opinion.

Having SR fold down into centre surround is pretty lame too, and that's just what the DTS-6AD likes to do.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-08-2004 02:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby should have never made the CP45. It is an amazing piece of shit...just like the DTS6AD. Stay away from it. The sound quality leaves much to be desired and their SR emulation is absolutely horrid.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-08-2004 03:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that everyone loves to trash the CP45, but, honestly, the one that I used to work with sounded fine. I agree, though, that the quality of construction is nowhere near that of other Dolby units and I would expect it to become unrepairable much sooner.

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, what do you prefer ?

CP45 or CP50 !

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-08-2004 03:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP50 is a FAR better processor.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-08-2004 06:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
You need to calrify that a bit... What I think you really mean is that an UPGRADED CP-50 is better than a CP-45....

I've always felt that a CP-45 IS actually better than a stock- original CP-50. The 45 does have SR noise reduction and a much, much higher quality fader circuit. Take a 20khz sine wave, feed it through a CAT 117 fader card and take a look at the nasty crossover notch at the zero point on the output sine wave. VERY UGLY!

The 45 EQ facilities do leave a bit to be desired but if you have the good fortune to have designed the room correectly and equip it with decent speakers you shouldn't need too much of the inadaquate EQ in the 45 anyway.

The build quality of the CP-45... No where near as good as an Ultra Stereo JS series processor! But I can say that I've never had any of the three CP-45s fail here in Utah.
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-08-2004 06:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, of course I am speaking of an upgraded CP50...something that can't be done with the CP45.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-08-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark...the CP-45 only has Dolby-SR emulation not the real thing. At least the CP-50 can have the real thing...the CP-45 can't!
Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-08-2004 10:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's so hard about SR that it must be emulated rather than the real thing installed? I mean c'mon... it's SR! It's not like trying to run Windows on a Mac. It's ancient technology and should be easy to duplicate, especially inside Dolby's own CP's. I've heard that Dolby has had issues getting SR to be as good as it used to (SR/A cards, etc). It can't be hyper expensive, either... again it is old, ancient technology. Even Dolby can't get it right? That doesn't say much for the company's efforts.

Seriously, why is proper SR so damned hard to get?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: