Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound Upgrade

Author Topic: Sound Upgrade
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to upgrade the sound systems in my two large auditoriums.The equipment we have at the moment is as follows:
Component Engineering LED readers
Ultra Stereo 95/105 Processors(no split surrounds-Left/Centre/Right sounds good-surrounds sound very weak)
I will have about $15,000(US) to play with but I would like to spend less than that so i am considering second hand equipment.
I have the opportunity to purchase the following equipment:
Smart mod V1 stereo processor
Smart MN600 Cinema Stereocheck booth monitor 6 channel
Smart Twin channel amplifiers model 250
Smart Afterburner AFT660
NOTE:all this Smart gear is unused and still in original boxes
WHAT WOULD BE A FAIR PRICE TO PAY FOR THIS SMART EQUIPMENT AND IS IT ANY GOOD-WOULD I HEAR A DIFFERENCE IN THE SOUND TO WHAT I HAVE GOT AND WOULD I HAVE TO UPGRADE THE LED READER TO A DIGITAL SR READER.
Ultra Stereo 105/195 processors-10 years old and I think are upgradable to SR,if I purchase the cards.
I would have to look at some time in the future in upgrading speakers,would installing tweeters in my surrounds be an advantage if I go to SR.
I have read many posts about sound systems and the Dolby CP65 seems to get mentioned the most,would a couple of second hand CP65's solve my problem.Any other suggestions on Processors would be greatly appreciated.
We are an Independant and we do get a lot of used prints!

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 12:54 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,
The CP65 is considered by many to be the BEST processor ever made by Dolby. It is discontinued though and hard to find. If you can get yourself on a second hand Go for it. It's worth it. The Smart MOD VI is very good considering getting it at a low price. It's much cheaper than any other processor and you have full band equalization in ALL channels (that includes surrounds). Easy to install, small in size and gives superb sound when configured correctly. If you can get a CP65 its surely better than the SMART but MOD VI is very very good. Don't underestimate it. If in the future you combine it with a DTS6D or a DA20 then your auditorium will ROCK!!!
Demetris

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 03:05 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,

There is usually good used processor's around if you Know where to look.Try to get a Dolby cp65 they are one of the best units Dolby have made not counting to CP 200 of course.Atlab image and sound have sales to clean out the store and sometimes a good bargin is available or try looking in the trade publications.Another processor worth looking at is the Panastereo just as good as Dolby but lower in price,may be some used ones about.Entertainment services in Brisbane might be worth a look as well Both Atlab and ES usually know someone who may have gear they want to get rid of.
cheers,
Steve [beer]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-07-2004 04:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going new then the only processor I'd consider is the Panastereo....especially at the much lower price you can buy them at vs. our jacked up inflated price over here which is about 1K+ higher then yours!! Its THE BEST sounding processor on the market period, and highly flexible.... much more so than anything else excepting a CP-200.

Sorry Demetrus,
But the CSP-1200 even blows the CP-55/65 clean out of the water.... much later analog technology and some very cleverly designed circuitry. The SR decoding is also as good as the best of Dolby's.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 08:19 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mark for forgetting about the Panastereo!! I've never had the opportunity to install or operate one here in Cyprus. Mostly we distribute Smart processors and Dolby only. Smart MOD VI is common, CP 65 Definately common, CP 45 in a complex, CP 500 in some triples and of course CP 650 in some new complexes. Some DA 20, SA 10's and of course DTS6D and ES. All work perfectly fine (that is until something goes wrong [Smile] ). Anyway I believe that Ian here is stating that he has the chance to buy a MOD VI (second hand) or find a CP65 second hand. I strongly believe that he should get the CP65. But of course, as I've said Mark, I have never heard, nor installed, nor operated a Panastereo although I hear their very good. Well, if Cyprus Problem is finally over by the end of the month, then surely some projects on the Northern Cyprus will open and maybe I could install one!!
Anyway see ya all
Demetris

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 08:58 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help guys,I think the Panastereo is the one for me,coupled to a DA-20 and we will get the place rockin'.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-07-2004 07:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demetrus,
I can tell you appreciate the finer things.... and after you have installed and used just one Panastereo that you'd definately agree that there is simply nothing else that even comes close in flexibility or performance to the CSP-1200. It is simply that good! No, Ray doesn't pay me to post these statements...the processor speaks for itself.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 02:36 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I will have that in mind when a single screen or double screen asks for upgrade or new installation. I don't think I can incorporate that processor in Cineplexes though here in Cyprus because most owners are OLD in the trade and are fully aware and prejudicious!! about Dolby processors. Do you have any installation photos of a Panastereo?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 09:39 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the pictures of the Royal and the Kingsway in the picture warehouse

Matthew Jaro
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 09:33 PM      Profile for Matthew Jaro   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Jaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a Panastereo processor (thanks to Neil Rockman) and I must say that the SR decoding is so good that when SRD fails, I hardly notice. Also it has three digital inputs so you can run DTS, SRD and video (DVD). There are also little things, like remembering the level for each format, academy EQ for old mono films, etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: