Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Building up print out of order (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Building up print out of order
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 11:32 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sitting here thinking about something. And it sounds weird, but I have to ask. There are some weird movies out there (plot jumps everywhere, storylines mixed up, etc.); if you were to build the movie up and say flop reels 3 and 2, is there a rare chance that the movie would play normally and people will be able to follow it normally. I was just wondering b/c I guess it's possible, and I was wondering by pure chance if anyone has heard of it...

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-07-2004 11:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
21 Grams!

So long as the opening titles come at the beginning and the credits come at the end, it pretty much doesn't matter what order the other 5 reels are in!

Erica Peterson
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 12:32 AM      Profile for Erica Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Erica Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree with Randy on 21 Grams - we do reel-to-reel, and I was so tempted to do a little swapping...

Haven't seen it in awhile, but I suspect Mulholland Dr. would work as well.

Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 12:51 AM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Memento would be a good candidate. While watching it I thought the projectionist had some fun splicing the night before.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or You Got Served, no plot anyway.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 01:12 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pulp Fiction could be a fun one...but I don't know where the reel changes were.

AJG

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 01:17 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i saw the player that way (at erica's "venue", if it's what i think it is). it certainly added a twist. i remember the murder appearing in the paper before it actually happened.

carl

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 06:03 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Clear Present, and Danger", with reels 5 and 6 swapped. It made things much worse.

On the other hand, I saw "The Man Who Fell to Earth" with the last two reels swapped, and didn't even NOTICE. This says something about the movie.

Finally, I saw "Until the end of the World" with the middle three reels missing. It was an improvement.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-08-2004 06:22 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend build Jeepers Creepers out of order, and all the employees that watched it were a little confused. I think what gave it away, was someone who had died was alive again 20 minutes later. [Confused] Recently one of my ex-projectionists built Barbershop 2 out of order, and no one noticed for the first 4 times that it played. [Big Grin]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-08-2004 07:01 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told that the Boston press screening of "L'Auberge Espagnole" (sp?) was shown out of order. The person I know who attended it said that it actually improved the film. Personally, I have a hard time believing that anything (short of cancelling the show entirely) would improve that POS.

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 07:13 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a screening of 21 grams in the correct order and was accused by the customer of running it out of order. They insisted I stop the movie so they could examine the reels.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Jackass"

All the reels, except the first one and the last one of course, started with a fade in and a new stunt, and ended by fading out when a stunt ended. The order of the stunts, if changed, probably wouldn't have been noticed by anyone. We thought about re-arranging the reels, and also re-arranging the heads and tails when we broke it down. We never did though.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 08:41 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 1970's, Andy Warhol made a film called The Chelsea Girls, that was specifically intended to be run in a different random order each time it was shown. I ran it back then, and there was a notice in the can instructing the projectionist to do just that. Being that most theatres still ran reel to reel at that time, it was easy to accommodate.

/Mitchell

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 09:26 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At EXPO 67 the chezch pavillion had an interesting film that at reel change the audience voted on what the character hould do ad the correct reel was then started this was done several times with the outcome of all the permutations being the same last reel
interesting film

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 11:48 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when my drive-in was sub-run, we picked up a print from a local hardtop... spun off on a couple of 6,000 foot reels. The first run was pretty wierd, so I checked the leaders & found two reels had been spliced in out of order. As the tape looked original, my guess is that the theatre ran the show that way for 3 or 4 weeks... and either nobody noticed or they just didn't fix it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: